Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is why we can’t have nice things at our lease!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    No one yet has insinuated they are scared of them, that I have seen. I wouldn't mind being able so see a bear from time to time, and I can build a feeder they can't break. What would **** me off is not being able to leave food in the camper, or a trash can outside without them tearing it up.
    Dale, I was heading them off at the pass. The fear usually creeps into these bear threads. There was some fear inclination early on in the thread. But nevertheless, I get it, they would require some adjustments (bear “proof” garbage cans and re-considerations as to what gets left at the deer cabin). For some this is just too much to cope with.

But let me ask this to all those following ....what would the Texas deer hunting landscape look like today if back in the 1960’s folks started saying .... let’s no let these pesky deer repopulate, all they do is eat our gardens/crops and run into our cars.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
      That's why you bear proof things in the back country. Hang food in bags from bear lines etc. They are nice to see now and then but Disney has skewed people's impression of them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
      I know the drill. I lived on the Appalachian Trail for 6 months. Hung food bags in the south and used bear boxes further up north. After awhile you rolled the dice. The only thing that ever got into my food were mice and squirrels. Outwest I carried a bear canister (which added weight), but was nice in that it kept everything out of my grub. So back country bear preparations might seem like pain but at the end of the day it’s actually about preserving your food from all creatures.
      Last edited by Anvilheadtexas; 07-12-2018, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Yeah that was one nice thread to follow too.

Comment

Thanx again for taking us along.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
            Thanx again for taking us along.

Thank you. I wish I was able to do a thread when I did the Jon Nuir Trail last summer, but reception out there was TOTALLY non-existent! Thank you for following my hike... looking back it was the most exciting six months of my life so far!

Comment

^ the hikes might have push Me a little further into the green team. But I don’t apologize for being a hunter or a conservationist ... I am both .

Comment

Before all you bear lovers get your wish, maybe listening to people who have them are saying.

To say I have bears is an understatement. I live in Louisiana and hunt tensas nwr and private land near it. Bears yeah we have them. Always been here and protected since 1985. When I first started hunting there (mid 90’s) there were plenty of bears and a few sightings every season. Deer was abundant and tag and tracking bears, relocating them to flourish other parts in the state in full swing. Late 90’s to early 2000, deer were getting scarce and could hardly find a yearling track in the dirt.

Think it was up to 2002 when they quit relocating sows with cubs. The deer were vanishing, what’s the problem. Yes it’s 90,000 acres of prime delta land. Bears are seen on a regular basis now while hunting. No big deal I feel they should be there. But I’m hunting for deer in a bear infested area. Yes the talk of a season was always on someone’s breath but still hasn’t happened. Oh they say there will never be a season on bears on public land, only, maybe a lottery for private lands. No problem I’ve been waiting and waiting lol.

Meanwhile, the deer are disappearing and the bears are flourishing.

Things you might not know with having bears.
                Don’t wait long after shooting your deer, the bears are coming. I’ve had many half eaten deer 30 minutes after the shot.
                Some hunters lose their deer to bears on public. Why you ask? They have no fear and you can’t touch them. Some guys have been caught killing a bear and paid over 20,000$ +.
                The bears will drag your deer off.
                They tear everything up. The utility poles on the refuge get replace about every ten years because they are almost crewed in half.
                They will destroy your metal stand if left on a tree.
                Will follow you and or your trail and sit at the base of your tree snapping it’s jaws. They will scent trail you like a bloodhound.
                They also will bite your Atv tires, tear your seat off and do anything in its power. Nothing is safe.
                If you have a deer in your truck there is a good chance you will have a black bear in it also by the time you come out w your stand.
                They destroy everything.

On private land is all different.
                They are not afraid of humans, most wont run from you. My boys and myself have been uncomfortably close to bears on my property, like under 10 yards many times. They will climb your towers, eat anything wooden, plastic or basically if it’s not steal they eat it or tear it up.

I could go on and on but hopefully you get the point.

My biggest problem while we try to get a hunt-able population is it’s way over populated w bears. Now it took over 5 years to get them delisted. Not because of the government, because of our favorite types of people loving their “sugar bears”.

Someone said they might get 250#....lol. The refuge has plenty of bears documented over 500#.

This you might find interesting. They are lazy gathers of food. They love corn and feeders, rice bran, basically anything available. There was a study done on the refuge because the deer population has declined. Now the refuge is 99% bow hunting only w a person if drawn can hunt a weekend w rifle. There is an open primitive weapon weekend also. I will post the study at the end of my post. Basically bears ate 33% of the fawns. Hmm imagine that.

On the right side one day I will get a bear tag and sell it to one of you bear lovers for big bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                  One of the guys on the same lease I am on went to check his feeder last year and the bottom was tore up and the feeder emptied of 350 pounds a corn he put in it 2 weeks earlier. Pulled the card on his camera and it was a bear. We are way out West Texas near Dryden. Needless to say I stay armed at all times at the ranch. Two years ago he killed a Mt Lion at his feeder.

We hunt by Dryden also. They have hit our neighbors a few times. We have had 1 feeder’s bottom ripped out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So if you hunt in a bear populated area.....why don't you utilize a bear-proof feeder and then dont worry about it. Some of the stand-n-fill models available seem like they could fit the bill..... or one could be built.

Comment

Speaking of Disney-induced Skewed perceptions of animals, we are in Yellowstone this week and you should see what a little, 85 lb black bear does to people! I really believe MOST of these people have NEVER stepped outside a city park!

Comment

Originally posted by triple_duece View Post
                        Before all you bear lovers get your wish, maybe listening to people who have them are saying.

To say I have bears is an understatement. I live in Louisiana and hunt tensas nwr and private land near it. Bears yeah we have them. Always been here and protected since 1985. When I first started hunting there (mid 90’s) there were plenty of bears and a few sightings every season. Deer was abundant and tag and tracking bears, relocating them to flourish other parts in the state in full swing. Late 90’s to early 2000, deer were getting scarce and could hardly find a yearling track in the dirt.

Think it was up to 2002 when they quit relocating sows with cubs. The deer were vanishing, what’s the problem. Yes it’s 90,000 acres of prime delta land. Bears are seen on a regular basis now while hunting. No big deal I feel they should be there. But I’m hunting for deer in a bear infested area. Yes the talk of a season was always on someone’s breath but still hasn’t happened. Oh they say there will never be a season on bears on public land, only, maybe a lottery for private lands. No problem I’ve been waiting and waiting lol.

Meanwhile, the deer are disappearing and the bears are flourishing.

Things you might not know with having bears.
                        Don’t wait long after shooting your deer, the bears are coming. I’ve had many half eaten deer 30 minutes after the shot.
                        Some hunters lose their deer to bears on public. Why you ask? They have no fear and you can’t touch them. Some guys have been caught killing a bear and paid over 20,000$ +.
                        The bears will drag your deer off.
                        They tear everything up. The utility poles on the refuge get replace about every ten years because they are almost crewed in half.
                        They will destroy your metal stand if left on a tree.
                        Will follow you and or your trail and sit at the base of your tree snapping it’s jaws. They will scent trail you like a bloodhound.
                        They also will bite your Atv tires, tear your seat off and do anything in its power. Nothing is safe.
                        If you have a deer in your truck there is a good chance you will have a black bear in it also by the time you come out w your stand.
                        They destroy everything.

On private land is all different.
                        They are not afraid of humans, most wont run from you. My boys and myself have been uncomfortably close to bears on my property, like under 10 yards many times. They will climb your towers, eat anything wooden, plastic or basically if it’s not steal they eat it or tear it up.

I could go on and on but hopefully you get the point.

My biggest problem while we try to get a hunt-able population is it’s way over populated w bears. Now it took over 5 years to get them delisted. Not because of the government, because of our favorite types of people loving their “sugar bears”.

Someone said they might get 250#....lol. The refuge has plenty of bears documented over 500#.

This you might find interesting. They are lazy gathers of food. They love corn and feeders, rice bran, basically anything available. There was a study done on the refuge because the deer population has declined. Now the refuge is 99% bow hunting only w a person if drawn can hunt a weekend w rifle. There is an open primitive weapon weekend also. I will post the study at the end of my post. Basically bears ate 33% of the fawns. Hmm imagine that.

On the right side one day I will get a bear tag and sell it to one of you bear lovers for big bucks.

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/sites/d..._louisiana.pdf

This is why I don't want them around. A huntable population is a nuisance population.....and the bunny ****ers will never let a season happen.

Comment

I feel your pain!
                          Last edited by trailboss; 07-13-2018, 08:45 AM.

Comment

I wonder how well a bear carcass could fill washout?

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                              I wonder how well a bear carcass could fill washout?
                              Don't EVEN go there!! I can tell you for sure you don't want the head ache of even having an event like that on your property even if you had NOTHING to do with how it happens!!

There's a bear mounted that is now displayed in the TPWD display of poached and confiscated/illegally taken game and other wildlife exhibit that they have at all of the bigger outdoor shows, or at least the one they had at this year's Fishing Show and I'm sure at the TTHA show... The plaque shares a brief story that the bear was "illegally killed in Val Verde County, Texas"... (which is not actually true, but it was "found dead in Val Verde County"... That sucker caused more drama than you can imagine, yet not ONE person on the property where it was found had ANYTHING to do with the bear's demise... I can't imagine how squirelly it would have gotten if one of the people on this ranch had actually been involved with killing or causing the death of said bear!! Believe me, you don't want any part of that!!

Comment

I thought we already had bears all over the place. Every time I walk to or from my stand in the dark I can hear bears stomping around in the woods all around me.
                                I also heard one snort once when I was hunting. Dang thing woke me up quick!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X