Another House Build Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another House Build Thread!

My wife and I closed to start construction on Wednesday. We now have power up, marking stakes out, and they plan to get the dirt crew out mid week coming. This will be our first home and plan on it being a long term family home. My wife was born and raised in the same house her parents built, but I lived in a different rent house just about every year and the majority of those were on wheels. So, this build really means a lot to me!

We are a family of three(thinking about another) living in 900' barn that was converted to living quarters with one bathroom. Needless, to say we are ready for the extra room!

We are both modest people, so we are building a modest 1900' home, attached carport, and shop. I got my tall ceilings with plywood backer for my mounts and my metal shop so I am a happy camper.

I am open for any small inexpensive tips from those of y'all that have built, that most folks might not think of.(I got the plywood behind sheetrock idea on here). Thanks for following. I will add pics as I get them!
    Last edited by Justin Spies; 05-12-2018, 10:03 AM.

Congrats, there is no place like HOME!

Comment

Congrats, get ready for a fun and stressful adventure!
      -Run a hot water line to the carport for washing pots etc from fish frying or crawfish boils.
      -Don't skimp on faucets, toilets etc. There are cheap alternatives that look good but they won't last and you will be working on or repairing them constantly.
      -lots of outlets, more than you think you will ever need. Otherwise there will never be one where you need it. Cable/outlets placed for wall mounted TV's.
      -make sure your vent hood above the stove actually vents out of the house and not just the kind that circulates through a filter.
      -Custom cabinets. Will cost more than the pre-fab ones but they will hold up and look better.

Comment

Add a mud room either in the carport or right inside a outside door acces. You can come in , strip down and get a shower without tracking through the rest of the house

Comment

Great news. In for the pics and progress reports!

Comment

don't allow the a/c unit or the hot water heater in the attic. Put the hot water heater in the utility room with washer/water softner...extra freezer... slope the floor and put in a drain in case you have a water malfunction.

run speaker wire in the attic to spots that may be of future use. use tech shield roof sheathing.

Comment

Just remember it will kick and scream along the way.

Don't obsess about a completion date.

Comment

We have been in our house for about six months. Just remember that all of those little extras add up at the end of the day. Unless you have a big budget , chose the ones that you will benefit from the most. Good luck.

Comment

Just closed on our loan also. I'm in for the follow and I'll be starting one of these too. Good luck to you brother. We are a family of 6 with 2 dogs living in a 31 foot travel trailer so I feel your pain sir.
                  Last edited by BlackoutRam2500; 05-13-2018, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Wife and I subbed out two homes. 2x6 exterior walls, real stucco, double insulation in attic, vinyl windows. Open n floor plan, good size restrooms and kitchen. Only regret was double front doors. Should of went with one wider front door.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Heck yeah! Bout time you start a thread! Looks like you will be a couple weeks ahead of me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get extra outlets, especially outside. Also take pictures once they frame the house.

Comment

Maybe not cheap but I'd spray foam the house and run hard-duct for your HVAC with dampers.

You might not get financial payback but it will make your house much more comfortable.

Oh, and get outlets with the USB ports for charging devices in the bedrooms, kitchen, etc.

Lastly, after they run electrical/plumbing and before they sheet rock take yourself a lot of pictures so you know for future repairs/remodels.

Comment

I second the tip about spray foam. We built a new house at the ranch last year and the spray foam insulation is tops. On demand water heater is another thing I am glad we went with.

Comment

As said hot water heater not in attic, not tile in showers, no glass in showers, spray foam, custom cabinets, plenty plugs in house/garage/outside, plenty hose bibs outside, half bath near front door or living area, half bath in garage.

Comment

Working...
                              X