No announcement yet.

Shot a huge buck, but need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am understanding it the same way FishNDude is - it sounds like the deer was quartering away and he shot and hit the back of the shoulder blade and only got 3" of penetration, which would be a perfectly live deer that will make it. BUT maybe I am understanding you wrong on what happened

Comment

Ok, so 3" of penetration is correct?? I say he makes it but JMO! But you should definitely go look for him at some point. Probably in the a.m.

Comment

sounds like a kill to me!

Comment

How did he react after he was hit?

Comment

70lbs @ 30inchs wouldn't blow through a shoulder?
            Good luck and hope you find him man!!!!!

Comment

hey sodapop

Sorry to hear you didnt find your buck.... I sure hope you recover him. Sounds like I would give him 4 hours and go after him if you are able . Coyotes sure will get him if around your area. In trying to understand your shot. If the animal was quartering away from you the shot might should have been right to the left of the back hind quarter so the angle goes into the basket. If you shot front shoulder area that could have been the problem with the poor penetration. What broadhead were you using. It seems if you have shot hogs then whitetails should not be a problem. Hope you find him. If you were close to Brenham Id go help you. take care

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
                I am understanding it the same way FishNDude is - it sounds like the deer was quartering away and he shot and hit the back of the shoulder blade and only got 3" of penetration, which would be a perfectly live deer that will make it. BUT maybe I am understanding you wrong on what happened
                I am worried that this is what happened. Just wondering why he would drop for about 7 or 8 seconds. If I shattered his shoulder blade he shouldn't go far and bed up. The broadhead is still in him.

Comment

I hope you find him. Are you going tonight or wait for the morning? It would be hard to wait for me.

Comment

Not trying to be the bad guy but... I did a very similar thing a few years ago. I thought I drilled him. He reared up on back legs and did the snow plow thing with his chin. When I found my arrow I had blood about 2" past the broad head. I thought I'd center punched him. The deer was never recovered but I believe it was an elbow wound.

However... I didn't find ANY blood on the ground. You might've gotten into more than you think. As far as him getting knocked down. Let me hit you in the elbow or shoulder with a baseball bat, I bet you fall down.

I sure hope I'm wrong and he's laying 30yds from where you left him. I sure wish I was closer so I could help you look.

Comment

Wow just re read my post and it sounds like I'm being very negative. I didn't mean it that way dude I'm just offering up what happened to me.

Comment

Definitely hope I'm wrong. Good luck sir.

Comment

You have waited long enough! I say go look, you know you wont be able to sleep tonight if you dont. I would be willing to bet he didn't go much further and bedded up! And that's where he lays now!

Comment

Congrats and good luck on the recovery.

Comment

I had the same exact thing happen to me last year on the biggest buck I have ever shot. Good blood trail and bumped him 8 hours later and 400 yards away. He was still alive 6 weeks after I hit him with a scar between the point of his shoulder and elbow. I'm guessing I hit his humerus dead on and thats what snapped my broadhead.

Comment

if the head stuck in him and the arrow broke I think you got a shoulder/leg bone - I hope you find him, but if you don't I would not hesitate to think that he is still alive

Comment

Working...
                                X