• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

old broken coke bottles, medicine bottles and such

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
      What is sea glass.
      Glass that has been polished/softened/worn by tumbling in the water and sand. It's mostly just beer and liquor bottles that are broken, but depending on where it's found and it's color, it can be somewhat valuable. My wife collects it and makes stained glass windows with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
        There it is! I dropped that on the beach the other day! [emoji12]

Skinny
        I'll get it in the mail tomorrow for ya' big boy

Comment

That isn't sea glass it's got a tea stained patina, the material it's made out of is a completely different color, soak it in vinegar overnight if you don't believe me but I wouldn't because the color gives it character. Johnny and I both calling that an Early Stemmed point, very old and a very awesome find. http://www.projectilepoints.net/Points/EarlyStem.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernCamo View Post
            That isn't sea glass it's got a tea stained patina, the material it's made out of is a completely different color, soak it in vinegar overnight if you don't believe me but I wouldn't because the color gives it character. Johnny and I both calling that an Early Stemmed point, very old and a very awesome find. http://www.projectilepoints.net/Points/EarlyStem.html

Thanks for the input. I know the arrow head isn't sea glass. That's just what we were looking for when she found the arrow head.

Can you expand upon what you mean about soaking it in vinegar? I wouldn't do it, but what would it look like?

Comment

Originally posted by txsteele View Post
              Thanks for the input. I know the arrow head isn't sea glass. That's just what we were looking for when she found the arrow head.

Can you expand upon what you mean about soaking it in vinegar? I wouldn't do it, but what would it look like?
              Soaking an artifact in vinegar overnight will remove any stains, algae and debris. It will bring out the original appearance of the material and clean it up..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ..Ambush.. View Post
                Soaking an artifact in vinegar overnight will remove any stains, algae and debris. It will bring out the original appearance of the material and clean it up..

Ambush nailed it. The material on that would be anything from a grey, tan, or even root beer/honey color.

Comment

Originally posted by ..Ambush.. View Post

Ambush nailed it. The material on that would be anything from a grey, tan, or even root beer/honey color.

So it's personal preference? It's the first point we have ever found.

Why wouldn't I want to see it in it's original condition?

Comment

Originally posted by txsteele View Post
                    So it's personal preference? It's the first point we have ever found.

Why wouldn't I want to see it in it's original condition?

It's absolutely personal preference, you won't hurt the artifact. It should become shiny instead of that crust look.

Comment

Very cool, I bet high island is getting hit pretty hard by collectors this week.

Many a good point has been found on a Texas beach.

Comment

Karankawas were part of the Gulf culture of native Americans and lived along the coast. Some used dugout canoes to travel. There was a vibrant trade network amongst the Texas Indians and more than likely the karankawas traded for the arrowheads with the Pueblo Indians from west Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
                          Karankawas were part of the Gulf culture of native Americans and lived along the coast. Some used dugout canoes to travel. There was a vibrant trade network amongst the Texas Indians and more than likely the karankawas traded for the arrowheads with the Pueblo Indians from west Texas.
                          While this is very true and good info, the point he found is thousands of years older than the Karankawas or whatever they were called.

Comment

The wife and I were out at the beach here in Corpus 2 weeks ago and she found one almost identical to that if I'm not mistaken. We were about 20 miles down the Padre Island National Seashore (PINS) when she found it. I thought it was weird too.

Comment

GarGuy....do you agree with the link that SouthernCamo posted?

That isn't sea glass it's got a tea stained patina, the material it's made out of is a completely different color, soak it in vinegar overnight if you don't believe me but I wouldn't because the color gives it character. Johnny and I both calling that an Early Stemmed point, very old and a very awesome find.

Comment

Originally posted by Deer716 View Post
                                The wife and I were out at the beach here in Corpus 2 weeks ago and she found one almost identical to that if I'm not mistaken. We were about 20 miles down the Padre Island National Seashore (PINS) when she found it. I thought it was weird too.

Got a pic?

Comment

Working...
                                X