No announcement yet.

Final Table Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started a brisket this morning at 7am. All I can say is it's looking bad a**!! I'll take pics of the finished product and post. Thanks for the recipes.

Comment

Great recipe
      Last edited by lawdawg; 06-25-2011, 10:00 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

For those of you asking about smoking tri-tips, I've smoked three or four already and I do use the same rule of thumb as a brisket...50-55 mins per pound. I treat it just like a mini brisket.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
          I have a feeling the wife might get tired of brisket before I get this figured out.

Sent from EVO using Tapatalk.
          From the black look of the brisket, to me it looks like the top vent was not wide open and the smoke was just circulating inside the barrel creating the sooty appearance. My suggestion is to keep the top vent wide open and control your temp with the bottom vent only.

Comment

Will be trying this this weekend

Comment

One on the smoker as we speak! should be done around 6:00, then off to watch some fireworks. Great recipe!

Comment

I still have not found a couple of the spices, still looking, but I went with what I had and have done 3 and all came out good, one was a little dry on the small end, other than that all were good. First time I have ever done briskets without wrapping them and was surprised. Thanks for the recipe

Comment

I fired up the smoker this a.m. and I am giving this a try. I usually use my tried and tested recipe but I wanted to try something new. I will let you know.

Comment

I put a little too much soaked wood in it, and thought it might be when I put it in there. It was seasoned plum, from trimming my fruit trees this last fall. I read fruit tree wood it good to use, but maybe not two cuts that where 3" dia and about 10" long. I should have just used one, or 1/2 on one.

I put the fat side down, and coals are directly under it about 18". No smokebox.

I have read anywhere from 50 minutes to 2 hours per pound. Is it the longer the more tender like a roast, or the longer the drier? From where the brisket gets thicker it was great, tender and moist.

I put it in cooler for about 45 minutes.
                    That is a lot of wood for a uds. are you using charcoal as well? Do you monitor the temp of the meat? that is the key to the brisket. All briskets are diff, some take longer than others. But the general rule is when the flat is around 190 195 degrees, check the tenderness with at temp probe/tooth pick/ice pick. poke it and if it pokes through like warm butter, it is done. if it still gives resistance, cook it longer.

Another thing to check is the drum temp guage. Are you measuring the temp at the side of the drum, or in the middle, where the meat is. I notice a 10-20 degrees difference sometimes.

One more thing, It's been a few years since i built my uds, but it seems like 18 inches is a little close to the coals. I think the plans i used said to put the grill 24 inches up....but don't quote me on that. I will go research.

Comment

It is brand new. I checked it with a second one and they both read the same. Actually one read 5 degrees more than the other, but didn't think that would be enough to matter. Based on that, I was either cooking at 225 or 230, not sure which one is correct.
                      Calibrate your thermometers in boiling water. Easy way to get an accurate reading.

Comment

looking froward to trying this one.

Comment

I do not have a Grill large enough to cook as suggested. I like this recipe, so I will try this in the oven. Broil? Don't laugh, at least I'm cooking. Any other suggestions with the oven approach?
                          Thanks,
                          Craig

Comment

I used the recp. for my son's graduation party back in June, I BB/Q all the time along with my friends who competively cook, the recp. is excellent, EXCEPT, and this is just my personal opinion, I would leave out the basil, turns "bitter" in the end. Now, with that being said, this recp. will place you ,IF you know what you are doing.

Comment

A great rub recipe . Thanks for sharing .
                              Helps those of us who don`t have a lot of time to try to experiment to find the " perfect rub " , or get to cook very often .

Comment

I tried this recipe on my smoker and can say without a doubt it is he tastiest rub I have ever found. Cooking time varied from the OP but great none the less. I will be using this from now on. Thanks for the great recipe...

Comment

Working...
                                X