No announcement yet.

Why do you bow hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I started out deer hunting Near Palastine,Tx. I was a gun hunter on Type II public land and would always see does and few bucks, and it was Buck only 1.
    One year TPWD opened it up to does also but with Archery equipment only, that's the day I became an archery hunter.
    I knew nothing about it or anyone that was into it, saw an ad in the newspaper of a person having a going out of business archery shop sale,and he hooked me up with everything and showed how to use all the equipment from the range viewer, to shooting down the arrow shaft no sights.

Funny thing is; I NEVER SAW A DOE AGAIN, BUT GOT MY 1ST AND ONLY BUCK HARVEST WITH ARCHERY EQUIPMENT EVER on that type II property(Unit 120) Guess It's
    BEEN ABOUT 30 YRS NOW!
    Last edited by whitetailfanatic; 09-18-2018, 07:48 AM.

Comment

I like sneaking in on animals undetected, being close enough to hear them eating and see their whiskers. Running an arrow through an animal in the exact spot you wanted it to go is an unbeatable feeling.

Comment

I started hunting later in life... Killed my first deer 3 years ago with a rifle...Ended that season with another kill....Picked up the bow after that as a bigger challenge. Haven't killed anything with a bow yet. Planning on that to change this year. I don't get to hunt much these days (life gets in the way) but am making an effort to get more time in the woods this season to give myself a chance to let some arrows fly.

Comment

Got into it cause it gave me more days to hunt. Stayed with it cause I'm addicted to getting close.

Comment

Originally posted by capn View Post
            I think the challenge is overrated, personally. Treestands, pop up blinds, corn, and modern compound bows make it pretty easy to consistently kill deer in areas with decent deer density if you know how to hunt. Public land or spot and stalk is a wholly different story of course.

But - I love hunting the various rut phases in October, and I love hunting in open treestands where I can watch the animals right underneath me. Watching does and yearlings feed undisturbed 15 yards away while feeling the first crisp air of the year never gets old.
            I agree with you somewhat in areas with high deer density, not all folks have those areas, Have you ever hunted spot and stock out west on the Kansas plains ? Or eastern Colorado sand hills? no trees, no bait, little or no cover? Belly crawling for hundreds of yards just to get within an acceptable bow range? Its a challenge, or elk hunting in the mountains ? If you haven't give it a go. If I wasn't a bow hunter I would have several booners on my wall, but that is what keeps me going back year after year. Bow hunter till I die, or until I cant draw my bow........

Comment

there just wasn't any challenge for me when I was using a rifle... just a dead deer walking.
              I like the up close and personal way of bowhunting.

Comment

I have been on plenty of challenging rifle hunts, I guess I just stink at hunting because it was not "see a deer kill deer" when rifle hunting. Maybe if you are hunting over a feeder it is. In the mountains of PA it was definitely not that easy. I know we as bowhunters love to say there is no challenge to rifle hunting but I really don't feel that is always the case.

Comment

No challenge with a gun anymore.

Comment

The thrill of being close enough you can hear there foot steps coming towards you and trying to hold composure when that big one is standing in bow range.

Comment

Because gun hunting is to easy at times, this was about 38yrs ago, BIL and I

God Bless
                      Bish
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
                        I have been on plenty of challenging rifle hunts, I guess I just stink at hunting because it was not "see a deer kill deer" when rifle hunting. Maybe if you are hunting over a feeder it is. In the mountains of PA it was definitely not that easy. I know we as bowhunters love to say there is no challenge to rifle hunting but I really don't feel that is always the case.
                        At my old place, the challenge was almost entirely in locating a mature buck you wanted to harvest. I'd see tons of youngsters and does, but the heavy river bottom brush did a great job of providing tons of cover for the older, smarter bucks. If I'd have been exclusively bowhunting, zero chance I'd have ever taken a mature buck in the time I owned the place. Had like 3 total opportunities in the 4 years I was there and only got a shot off on 1. They were definitely there, just very smart and hard to see during the day.

Comment

Because I am a bowhunter....

Kinda of hard to really explain properly. It is just how I like to hunt. It feels better... It feels right. No matter how frustrating it can be at times... it is just the way I like to hunt.

Comment

I bow hunt because it is fun and it's challenging. Same reason I rifle hunt as well. Fortunately, I do not see hunting as a contest with anyone or any animal. I've killed a lot of animals with my bow and a lot of animals with my rifle and enjoy them equally and each for different reasons. I hunt to spend time in nature, with friends/family and to get away from the rat race of daily life. I just enjoy the experience regardless of the weapon I carry. Few things excite me more than chasing big mule deer in the sandhills of the panhandle or pronghorn in the flat country up there with my .270 so saying it's not a challenge and doesn't do it for me just does not apply in my circumstance. I love hunting with any weapon because it's always with great company.

Comment

For me hunting period is about camaraderie with like minded conservationist in the great outdoors. Adding archery as a tool does a few things: adds a level of extra challenge, extends hunting season and allows for more venison in the freezer.
                              Last edited by dbaio1; 09-18-2018, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by csiceman View Post
                                i bow hunt because it is fun and it's challenging. Same reason i rifle hunt as well. Fortunately, i do not see hunting as a contest with anyone or any animal. I've killed a lot of animals with my bow and a lot of animals with my rifle and enjoy them equally and each for different reasons. I hunt to spend time in nature, with friends/family and to get away from the rat race of daily life. I just enjoy the experience regardless of the weapon i carry. Few things excite me more than chasing big mule deer in the sandhills of the panhandle or pronghorn in the flat country up there with my .270 so saying it's not a challenge and doesn't do it for me just does not apply in my circumstance. I love hunting with any weapon because it's always with great company.
                                this!

Comment

Working...
                                X