No announcement yet.

Why do you bow hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To scout for first rifle season. to have a hobby during summer. To not go deaf after taking a shot. To clear your mind and focus on one thing, intensely (Almost a meditation level).

But number one is to hunt for elk in the rut.

Comment

All of my reasons have already been listed, but just the enjoyment of being close. Shooting one with a rifle is so extremely boring and easy that I just don't enjoy it. It has been a long time since I shot a deer with my rifle.

-john

Comment

Killing in close proximity without making a (terribly loud) sound.

Comment

I love the challenge. I gun hunted into my early twenty's. I picked up strictly bow hunting at age twenty three, twenty six years later still doing it. For me the thrill is still the same as it was all those years ago. It makes me a better hunter, all the disciplines, all the practice and all the patience it takes to be successful.

Comment

The thrill of getting close

Comment

You are going to hurt your teeth crunching that corn.

Comment

I think the challenge is overrated, personally. Treestands, pop up blinds, corn, and modern compound bows make it pretty easy to consistently kill deer in areas with decent deer density if you know how to hunt. Public land or spot and stalk is a wholly different story of course.

But - I love hunting the various rut phases in October, and I love hunting in open treestands where I can watch the animals right underneath me. Watching does and yearlings feed undisturbed 15 yards away while feeling the first crisp air of the year never gets old.

Comment

I like the challenge of getting close and being undetected, defeating the animals senses used for protection.

I also like to "embrace the disadvantage" as my FIL says. I prefer traditional archery for the same reasons I prefer fly fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I switched to bow only when I started hunting in Oklahoma since the rifle season is so short. It was a challenging couple of years trying to get my first buck, but I was all-in once I had my first harvest.

The icing on the cake was seeing the excited look on my kids faces when critters came within a few feet of our ground blind.

Comment

I honestly started to have a longer season and better weather. Bow season is 6 weeks, and rifle season in PA is 2 weeks and can be brutally cold. Then I grew to love everything else about archery. I love shooting bows and shoot year round when I am healthy enough.

Comment

Originally posted by TENRMORE View Post
                        A friend told me once...When you see a deer with a rifle the hunt is over, when you see a deer with a bow the hunt has just begun.

It's just to easy to shoot one with a gun, haven't shot one since 1992 with a gun...
                        THiS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

I had no choice. It was bred into me by one of the greats. Miss him every day.

With that said you just can't beat the close encounters & other cool stuff you see that I believe most rifle hunters miss out on.

Comment

The thrill of the hunt for sure. Spot and stalk with a bow for axis is even more fun than sitting in a blind. Very challenging but it sure is a blast and very rewarding when you finally get a shot off. Bowhunting in general is a game of inches and the challenge of making the perfect shot at the right time is what it's all about.

Comment

Honestly, to get a month head start on thinning does.

Comment

Excitement of being close and undetected.

Comment

Working...
                                X