No announcement yet.

Emotional support animals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This has come up several times where I work. There is a distinction between service animal and emotional support animal and the Americans with Disabilities Act does not recognize emotional support dogs. Below are some highlights from an FAQ section on the governments website along with a link

• Only Dogs are recognized by the ADA as service animals – Any breed.
    • A service animal is a dog that is trained to do work or perform tasks for a person with a disability.
    • You must allow service animals access to all areas of the store that the general public is allowed.
    • A dog whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support does not qualify as a service animal under the ADA.
    • Under the ADA a service animal must be leashed, harnessed or tethered unless these devices interfere with the service animal’s work or the individual’s disability prevents using these devices.
    • When it is not obvious what service the animal performs only limited inquireies are allowed. 1) Is the dog a service animal required becasuse of a disability and 2) What work or task has the dog been trained to do.
    • Allergies or fear of dogs are not valid reasons for denying access.
    • A person with a service dog cannot be asked to remove their dog unless 1) the dog is out of control and the handler does not take effective action to control it or 2) The dog is not house broken.
    • When there is a legitimate reason to ask the that a service animal be removed staff must offer the person with a disability the opportunity to obtain service without the animals presence.

Comment

We are covered up with "emotional support dogs" down here in Austin.

Comment

closest they've come to authenticity is when they mentioned the Galt ranch.

Comment

As huntsman said

A service dog that assists the physically disabled (blind, epilipsy, paralysis) is different from and ESA (emotional support dog). A true service dog is highly trained and socialized and will be certified. These dogs are protected under the ADA (American with Disabilities Act).

ESA's have no certification, no training, and no protection under the ADA.

I've seen a lot of service dogs that behave better than most humans. Most ESA dogs I've seen aren't worth a pot to .. you know ... in.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
            As huntsman said

A service dog that assists the physically disabled (blind, epilipsy, paralysis) is different from and ESA (emotional support dog). A true service dog is highly trained and socialized and will be certified. These dogs are protected under the ADA (American with Disabilities Act).

ESA's have no certification, no training, and no protection under the ADA.

I've seen a lot of service dogs that behave better than most humans. Most ESA dogs I've seen aren't worth a pot to .. you know ... in.

Bwhaha thats funny I agree 100% nothing short of a scam seen one on a airplane sitting in a ladies lap .

Comment

I’m not against support dogs, in fact I highly support them if you seriously need it (ie veterans) but what really gets my blood hot these days is every snowflake and their brother taking their dang dogs everywhere with them. I was at sams one day and some lady had her little fluffy poochy in the basket with her in the Grocery section!! Her and another lady were picking the dog up and passing it back and forth playing with it and talking about it. I almost walked over and slapped thenhell out of both of them and told the to get that **** dog out of the area that’s and everyone else picks out our food. All these stores these days that are “pet friendly” when there’s really no reason anyone would need to take their dog to sofa mart and Best Buy.

And yes I agree with stated above, if someone’s “support” dog bit me in public the dog AND the owner would need way more support than that dog can handle. Ain’t no room in this world for a biting dog.

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
                . I was at sams one day and some lady had her little fluffy poochy in the basket with her in the Grocery section!! Her and another lady were picking the dog up and passing it back and forth playing with it and talking about it. I almost walked over and slapped thenhell out of both of them and told the to get that **** dog out of the area that’s and everyone else picks out our food. All these stores these days that are “pet friendly” .
                This is actually a Texas food code violation. The problem is store management doesn't know the law and is too scared to say something to the customer.

We deal with this on a fairly regular basis.

Comment

My girlfriends cat is a registered emotional support animal. Her doctor wrote out a prescription for it. Otherwise our apartment complex was going to charge almost $600 for a pet fee. She’s pregnant and extremely emotional so I felt that she really did need the cat. Lol from what I understand you can’t just buy a tag or card you have to get an actual prescription.

Comment

Huntsman27 is correct in the distinction between the two. The state of Texas has adopted the ADA rules for a service dog and does not legally recognize support animals.

Comment

Originally posted by twobittxn View Post
                      This is actually a Texas food code violation. The problem is store management doesn't know the law and is too scared to say something to the customer.

We deal with this on a fairly regular basis.
                      Problem is, said manager tells lady she needs to leave. Lady throws a fit, other people have to get involved, lady finally leaves. Said lady then takes to social media blasting about how she was treated unfairly (blah, blah, blah). It spirals out of control, store ends up with a bad rap, manager ends up fired.

Comment

No comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                          A dog that bites me for no reason is gonna need some support of its own
                          I thought the same thing. What if I'm licensed to conceal carry, I'm in a place of business that supports licensed concealed carry with my small child and a random emotional support dog with new threads from amazon attempts to harm me or my child's well being and I act in a manner to protect our well being. Will the owner of the dog be responsible for its funeral cost or will I be?

Comment

You don't tolerate misbehavior in your kids.......

Why in Hell would you tolerate misbehavior in your dog?

Comment

Originally posted by 67olds442 View Post
                              We are covered up with "emotional support dogs" down here in Austin.
                              Oh don't get me freaking started......

Comment

Yeah, you cc an turn any little stupid mutt into a “service dog” these days. It’s crazy. I love my pups but they get left at home when I leave, it ain’t that hard.

Comment

Working...
                                X