No announcement yet.

Net Neutrality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you believe the internet is a right that you are entitled to?

Comment

Originally posted by Neck View Post
      Do you believe the internet is a right that you are entitled to?
      No. But neither is electricity or clean water and we regulate the access, quality and distribution of those.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
      Last edited by JonBoy; 12-15-2017, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
        NN forced the hands of ISPs to treat content online equally...meaning no throttling, no content filtering, no premium charging for content was allowed. Now that those rules have been rescinded, ISPs can do any and all of that including blocking access to online content from competitors or charging their customers extra for access to content they deem "premium"

This is where i dont get it. This is not any different than what cable companies are doing right now. No one complains about that. Its the exact same. Select channels, select packages, one channel here, HBO there. so on and so on. It creates competition between companies to provide certain things their customers want. Free Market. Its only a problem now, because they set it up wrong in the first place, and now see they can make more money doing it this way. Again, free market. Dont like it? dont buy it? People stop buying it, prices change, drop, more websites get added, and the list goes on. Its customer driven. Free market. There is not ONLY one ISP. there is a lot, and could be a lot more out of this.

You dont have a right to unlimited internet. its not a necessity. I argued with a guy for an hour about that yesterday. You will not die without internet. It makes life easier, sure, but thats it.

Comment

No. But neither is electricity or clean water and we regulate the access, quality and distribution of those.

You CAN die without clean water and electricity........You CANT die without internet. Its just not possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Part Timer View Post
            You CAN die without clean water and electricity........You CANT die without internet. Its just not possible.
            I completely agree but you also CAN die without proper healthcare but plenty on here will tell you that's not a right.

Comment

I completely agree but you also CAN die without proper healthcare but plenty on here will tell you that's not a right.

Its not a right, but i dont get free water or electricity or healthcare (dont get me started on that one). I do have an option for electricity though on who i want to use. Prices vary.

People are only mad because it is most likely going to cost more to do the exact same thing they are getting now for less. That is what it boils down to. Other than that, its no different than anything else in this country.

Asking for more government control over things is a slippy slop. This isnt a Monopoly because there is lots of providers. If you let free market work the way its supposed to, without uncle sam controlling it, prices with level out.

I see your argument, im just looking at it more on the side of "what if i owned an internet company". I dont want to be told "hey you HAVE to give these people your service this way. Thats just not American to me.
              Last edited by Part Timer; 12-15-2017, 12:21 PM.

Comment

SURELY you understand those are more essential to life than access to the internet.

Surely. [emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’ve never seen anyone turned away from health CARE that was in a life/death situation.

Heath INSURANCE is a different discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    SURELY you understand those are more essential to life than access to the internet.

Surely. [emoji52]

Yes I understand...my response was meant to be tongue in cheek. Although I would argue there is a subculture of people who would claim that access to the internet makes life worth living...take this website for instance I kid I kid.

Comment

I'm sure there would be a lot of suicides if the internet was permanently turned off....does that count?

dangit Jonboy beat me to it!

Comment

Its not a right, but i dont get free water or electricity or healthcare (dont get me started on that one). I do have an option for electricity though on who i want to use. Prices vary.

People are only mad because it is most likely going to cost more to do the exact same thing they are getting now for less. That is what it boils down to. Other than that, its no different than anything else in this country.

Asking for more government control over things is a slippy slop. This isnt a Monopoly because there is lots of providers. If you let free market work the way its supposed to, without uncle sam controlling it, prices with level out.

I see your argument, im just looking at it more on the side of "what if i owned an internet company". I dont want to be told "hey you HAVE to give these people your service this way. Thats just not American to me.
                        Bingo...you've cracked the code. Consumers will likely pay more for less...a story that unfortunately seems to repeat itself all through our economy. We pay more for internet access than most countries and have some of the slowest speeds around.
                        Even though the Internet was invented in the United States, Americans pay the most in the world for broadband access. And it’s not exactly blazing fast. So why are Americans paying more for slower service?

And that was BEFORE all of this NN hoopla. So much for innovation.

Comment

Bingo...you've cracked the code. Consumers will likely pay more for less...a story that unfortunately seems to repeat itself all through our economy. We pay more for internet access than most countries and have some of the slowest speeds around.
                          Even though the Internet was invented in the United States, Americans pay the most in the world for broadband access. And it’s not exactly blazing fast. So why are Americans paying more for slower service?

And that was BEFORE all of this NN hoopla. So much for innovation.
                          From the article you posted:
                          So why are Americans paying more for slower service? The answer: There’s limited competition in the broadband market.
                          In seems to me, that doing away with government regulation will open the door to more competition, which should also mean better service/prices for the consumer in the long run.

Comment

No.
                            Okay good, I just wanted to make sure that fundamentally, we were on the same side.

I believe the FTC is already in place to provide protections from everything that everyone is saying we should be worried about. The FTC and states' attorney generals are already in place to protect against fraud and gouging. Also didn't the companies that where caught throttling bandwidth get busted by the FCC and forced to stop even before NN? I don't believe giving any bureaucracy carte blanche authority over something is the way to go. Instead, if it is determined that some regulations are needed then do it in Congress where we have an accountable body that is elected by we the people.

Before we just grant the FCC power to pick winners and losers with respect to the internet we should stop and think about where it could lead. We have already seen what the IRS is capable of and now the FBI and countless other politically motivated bureaucracies. We should proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                              From the article you posted:

In seems to me, that doing away with government regulation will open the door to more competition, which should also mean better service/prices for the consumer in the long run.
                              The referenced article was published a month or so after NN rules were set in place so the data quantifying our internet price per Mb and maximum available download speeds were already a few years old...during the time where regulation was low. So by that limited amount of data it would seem that Government regulation hasn't done anything to decrease competition or decrease the speed & quality of internet access. On the contrary, over the last few years online streaming services have soared and several new services have popped up and taken hold.

Comment

Originally posted by Neck View Post
                                Okay good, I just wanted to make sure that fundamentally, we were on the same side.

I believe the FTC is already in place to provide protections from everything that everyone is saying we should be worried about. The FTC and states' attorney generals are already in place to protect against fraud and gouging. Also didn't the companies that where caught throttling bandwidth get busted by the FCC and forced to stop even before NN? I don't believe giving any bureaucracy carte blanche authority over something is the way to go. Instead, if it is determined that some regulations are needed then do it in Congress where we have an accountable body that is elected by we the people.

Before we just grant the FCC power to pick winners and losers with respect to the internet we should stop and think about where it could lead. We have already seen what the IRS is capable of and now the FBI and countless other politically motivated bureaucracies. We should proceed with caution.
                                I can find common ground with you here. But to summarily dismiss something just because it came during the tenure of someone with a (D) or an (R) next to their party line shouldn't happen either. I really hate the fact that civil discourse has given way to tribal politics. These topics don't have to be black or white...there is room for grey...so long as we proceed with caution. I'm really pleased with the discussion on this thread though
                                Last edited by JonBoy; 12-15-2017, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X