Who likes a 300 WSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by canny View Post
    Thanks for the info. Probably just going to have the GS open up the bolt face and install a sako extractor. Probably going to go 23" barrel plus muzzle break. Going to keep it in the SPS stick right now and bed the action and reinforce the forearm of needed. I've been wanting to try the enamel spray paint dip so this would be a good stock to try it on. Will upgrade later on to a MCM or Manners but just going to focus on getting the rifle built and functional before spending more money on other things.
    facts and figures to ponder ; you make the decision

Option A
    $175 - open bolt face, install Sako extractor
    $125 - modification of feed rails, feed ramp, and current magazine to insure reliable feeding
    $150 - glass bedding and stock work

$450 invested on action and current stock

Option B
    Sell current rifle for $400
    $500 - purchase a dedicated WSM rifle
    Sell barrel, trigger, and stock for $100
    - basically it's a wash ... $0 for the action you need

$250 - purchase used, like new HS Precision stock
    $150 - true and blueprint action
    $ 35 - surface ground, oversize recoil lug
    $125 - Timney trigger*

$450 invested on trued WSM action and HS stock ; $575 w/ Timney trigger upgrade*
    Last edited by Cajun Blake; 01-12-2017, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
      facts and figures to ponder ; you make the decision

Option A
      $175 - open bolt face, install Sako extractor
      $125 - modification of feed rails, feed ramp, and current magazine to insure reliable feeding
      $150 - glass bedding and stock work

$450 invested on action and current stock

Option B
      Sell current rifle for $400
      $500 - purchase a dedicated WSM rifle
      Sell barrel, trigger, and stock for $100
      - basically it's a wash ... $0 for the action you need

$250 - purchase used, like new HS Precision stock
      $150 - true and blueprint action
      $ 35 - surface ground, oversize recoil lug
      $125 - Timney trigger*

$450 invested on trued WSM action and HS stock ; $575 w/ Timney trigger upgrade*

Thanks for the breakdown. I'll definitely look into your info as it does make a lot of sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the breakdown. I'll definitely look into your info as it does make a lot of sense.

He's a dang wizard!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
          264 Mag takes a long action.

Yes Sir. I would have to sell my existing SA and pursue a LA. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
            Yes Sir. I would have to sell my existing SA and pursue a LA. Thanks.

Oh you're gonna sell your SA. Sorry. [emoji51]

Comment

Remember short action and 30 cal is what it's got to be as that's what I have to work with.

So tell me what you think?

If you ever make to the Metromess (DFW), I have a Model 7 in 300SAUM with a 22" barrel and sitting in a B&C stock that i will let you take for a test drive.

Like others have said the recoil is stiff on factory rifles, but since I have a installed a brake and upgraded the factory stock the rife is much less punishing to shoot.

As far as knockdown power goes I have no issue taking anything in North America with the exception of bear possibly.

Comment

Originally posted by 300rem7 View Post
                If you ever make to the Metromess (DFW), I have a Model 7 in 300SAUM with a 22" barrel and sitting in a B&C stock that i will let you take for a test drive.

Like others have said the recoil is stiff on factory rifles, but since I have a installed a brake and upgraded the factory stock the rife is much less punishing to shoot.

As far as knockdown power goes I have no issue taking anything in North America with the exception of bear possibly.

Thanks for the offer, but I try to avoid that area if all possible...lol

Comment

Oh you're gonna sell your SA. Sorry. [emoji51]

Or might consider an additional 22-250 build if I kept it. Still can't shake that visual of your black & stainless 22-250 to use as a concept. My compliments.

Comment

Or might consider an additional 22-250 build if I kept it. Still can't shake that visual of your black & stainless 22-250 to use as a concept. My compliments.

It's not stainless. It a Titanium Gray Cerecote.

Comment

It's not stainless. It a Titanium Gray Cerecote.

another option for metal finishing is "electress nickle"

rifle pictured below is a 1966 blued Rem 40x action that was sent to Metalloy in Berryville, AR for a satin nickle finish. Chambered in 17 Little Nasty which is a cartridge I created and named

Comment

I love my Tikka 300wsm. I have the T3 light so it does pack a bit of punch, but I put a limbsaver recoil pad on and that helped a bunch.

Comment

I'd do a .30/284 on a short 700 action if I had to go bigger than.308, and thought I needed a .30 caliber

Comment

rifle pictured below is a 1966 blued Rem 40x action that was sent to Metalloy in Berryville, AR for a satin nickle finish. Chambered in 17 Little Nasty which is a cartridge I created and named

All I'm thinking is "Wow". It goes without saying that you are experienced and talented.

Comment

Wow. That is beautiful.

Comment

All I'm thinking is "Wow". It goes without saying that you are experienced and talented.
                                Originally posted by freerhunter16 View Post
                                Wow. That is beautiful.

17 Little Nasty - rifle #2

this pic has been posted many times before .... 3 shot groups during load workup

apologies to the OP for my off-track posts on my rifles above ; which is a whole different topic
                                Last edited by Cajun Blake; 01-13-2017, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X