Who likes a 300 WSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who likes a 300 WSM

Here's the deal. I have a short action 700 that I bought as a future project. Was originally planning on a 7mm-08 AI. However my stepdad had purchased a 30 caliber Hart barrel in a Shilen #4 contour that he said I could have as he was not going to use it any time soon. So short action 30 caliber is what I'm looking at. I already have a 308 so don't want to go that route. I'm looking at the 300 WSM. My end goal would be an all purpose hunting rifle so weight is a factor. Goal of under 9lbs. I've been considering 24" with brake, but also been doing research on 22" with brake. I would like to push a 165-180g bullet in the 2900 FPS range. I want a rifle to handle whitetail, elk, pronghorn, mule deer etc. I have a custom built 7mm that I went overboard and ended up at 12lbs so I want something more conducive to carrying around a mountain and such

Remember short action and 30 cal is what it's got to be as that's what I have to work with.

So tell me what you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by canny; 01-09-2017, 09:15 PM.

Interested to see what others have to say about this

Comment

i have the savage weather warrior in 300wsm. Love it. Use it here in Texas and hunt elk with it in Colorado.

Comment

I have a Browning A-Bolt in .300 WSM that I really like. I've killed a carload of deer and one elk with it. A little too much gun for antelope and small deer, but if I had to own only one rifle for deer to elk, that would be it......maybe. I love my .280 also

Comment

What is yalls current barrel length

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
            Interested to see what others have to say about this

Me too, cause I've got a 270 WSM and recoil on it is stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
              Me too, cause I've got a 270 WSM and recoil on it is stupid.

My dads shoots a 270 WSM and I've shot it plenty. Recoil isn't that bad

Comment

I've read that the Winchester actions are a little longer and that the Remington Short Actions can have issues feeding from the magazine. I have considered a 300 SAUM as well. Since its a Remington based cartridge would it be more reliable regarding feeding from magazine than a WSM? I know the COL is shorter but not by much.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                  I've read that the Winchester actions are a little longer and that the Remington Short Actions can have issues feeding from the magazine. I have considered a 300 SAUM as well. Since its a Remington based cartridge would it be more reliable regarding feeding from magazine than a WSM? I know the COL is shorter but not by much.

Can't speak for the others but my dads wsm works flawlessly. It's proven itself time and time again with no hiccups at all.

Comment

Canny

Unless you open the bolt face, the WSM (.540") cartridge won't work with the current (.473") bolt

Comment

I have a custom built on a 700 action. Custom bolt and barrel. It has been lighting on everything I've shot with it. I handload mine. Only down side is brass is hard to come by except for the expensive stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                        Canny

Unless you open the bolt face, the WSM (.540") cartridge won't work with the current (.473") bolt

Been meaning to ask, where did you get all your knowledge about rifles and building rifles? You definitely know more than the average shooter.

Comment

My dads shoots a 270 WSM and I've shot it plenty. Recoil isn't that bad

It's not when shooting at a deer, but it's not something just to go out killing paper. I will admit, I'm a **** when it comes to that. I shoot more comfortable guns and kill just a good with them. But it's kept away if I ever need it for anything the 243 may just be a little small for. But I may pull the .264 at that time.

Been meaning to ask, where did you get all your knowledge about rifles and building rifles? You definitely know more than the average shooter.

You ain't seen his gun collection then. I've only seen pictures of his he posts but Blake's got some nice guns

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
                            It's not when shooting at a deer, but it's not something just to go out killing paper. I will admit, I'm a **** when it comes to that. I shoot more comfortable guns and kill just a good with them. But it's kept away if I ever need it for anything the 243 may just be a little small for. But I may pull the .264 at that time.

You ain't seen his gun collection then. I've only seen pictures of his he posts but Blake's got some nice guns

I got ya, probably would shoot something different if I was a target shooter. I've seen a couple he's posted up here but haven't seen em all.

Comment

@ Jmsck .... 3 decades of building, shooting, and consulting on custom rifles ; specifically the Remington 700

Comment

Working...
                              X