Equipment Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Equipment Question

So this may be a bit off topic but I feel like I'll get the answer I'm looking for here. My wife is shooting a low poundage compound bow and I have struggled with finding the most efficient broadhead for her set up. I haven't checked the poundage but I would imagine it's less than 40lbs, 24.5" draw and it's pretty slow... ok it's really slow. I shoot 73# with a 30" draw heavy arrows with weighted inserts so penetration has never been a concern for me.

I know a lot of the trad guys shoot a monster 2 blade cut on contact head (250gr a lot of times) and was wondering if this would be beneficial for her set up? If not, could someone please point me in the right direction for a slower speed bow to get the best results.

Have y'all tried Magnus Stingers? They worked extremely well for my wife.

Comment

My girlfriend is shooting 42# and 26.5. Pretty dang slow. She shot her first deer thus last weekend. It was a dumb spike he still dropped 12 inches, turned 80 degrees and threw his *** in the arrows way. We found the deer piled up 50 yards away thankfully but we have to get more speed. He wasn't even on alert or looking nervous. Anyways to answer your original question, the shot was 20 yards and she's shooting a trusty 100gr thunderhead. The long sweeping blades seem to allow more penetration. Hit in the hunt quarter after he dropped and spun, the arrow reached his opposite side, didn't stick through but it was just under the skin. So 12-13 inches of penetration. I'm compemplating what to do to get the arrow delivered faster. Post what you decide

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

IF you can find the real thunderheads, and not the chinese imports, that may be a good option. Also be weary of "replacement" blades. Tons of those out there that are not good. Cheap steel, and not straight. Besides the thunderhead. I know of several that shoot the Magnus Stingers. They are a good cutting head. Personally I would avoid building to much head weight on her bow. I know we tend to shoot much slower bows then the compounds but we are still getting around 180 FPS and some faster.
        Good luck to you and her.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon M. View Post
          These are exactly what I want for her, but I am really interested in what benefit if any the heavy grain 2 blades have for a slow set up.

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
          My girlfriend is shooting 42# and 26.5. Pretty dang slow. She shot her first deer thus last weekend. It was a dumb spike he still dropped 12 inches, turned 80 degrees and threw his *** in the arrows way. We found the deer piled up 50 yards away thankfully but we have to get more speed. He wasn't even on alert or looking nervous. Anyways to answer your original question, the shot was 20 yards and she's shooting a trusty 100gr thunderhead. The long sweeping blades seem to allow more penetration. Hit in the hunt quarter after he dropped and spun, the arrow reached his opposite side, didn't stick through but it was just under the skin. So 12-13 inches of penetration. I'm compemplating what to do to get the arrow delivered faster. Post what you decide

Once the bow is maxed out on poundage I guess that's about all you're going to get. It's a very frustrating thing and is something I've never really had to deal with. Even when I first started bow hunting I was shooting 70# and a relatively long draw so it's not something I know how to fix.

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
            These are exactly what I want for her, but I am really interested in what benefit if any the heavy grain 2 blades have for a slow set up.

Once the bow is maxed out on poundage I guess that's about all you're going to get. It's a very frustrating thing and is something I've never really had to deal with. Even when I first started bow hunting I was shooting 70# and a relatively long draw so it's not something I know how to fix.
            I'll never be able to get 70 out of her, that's what the bow maxes out at. I'm thinking about buying a speed bow and turn it down to about 50, I hope I can get her to that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
              IF you can find the real thunderheads, and not the chinese imports, that may be a good option. Also be weary of "replacement" blades. Tons of those out there that are not good. Cheap steel, and not straight. Besides the thunderhead. I know of several that shoot the Magnus Stingers. They are a good cutting head. Personally I would avoid building to much head weight on her bow. I know we tend to shoot much slower bows then the compounds but we are still getting around 180 FPS and some faster.
              Good luck to you and her.
              Can you tell me the benefit of having all that weight up front? I haven't chronographed her bow but 180fps doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility. It just seems like super slow motion to a guy that is used to pushing close to 300fps

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
                I'll never be able to get 70 out of her, that's what the bow maxes out at. I'm thinking about buying a speed bow and turn it down to about 50, I hope I can get her to that point.

What little bit I know about bows is you want to be closer to the max than the minimum on draw weight so if she's in the 40's and the bow goes to 70 you're probably not maximizing the potential there. You may look into one with 50# limbs. Her draw length with generate a little more speed.

My wife loves to bow hunt and with both kids now she doesn't get to do it a lot. I just hate for her to have a bad experience with it when she does get to go.

Comment

My wife's set up is close to your wife's. My wife shoots a 39lb draw weight, 26.5 draw length with a 100gr broadhead. Her broadheads are the ramcat single bevel. I think they are an inch cutting diameter. She killed two deer in the past two years. Both shots completely passed thru the deer. One arrow burried 4 inches in the ground under the buck. I don't think the ramcats are magic at all. It's all about shot placement. Any shave hair, small diameter head, coc head will work. Just practice a ton and make sure she knows her max distance she is comfortable shooting and she will be successful. My wife practices out to 40 but won't shoot a deer unless it is 20 or less. She had to watch a 140+er walk by right before Christmas last year because he was at 35 yards. She made the right decision. Good luck to your wife!

Comment

What little bit I know about bows is you want to be closer to the max than the minimum on draw weight so if she's in the 40's and the bow goes to 70 you're probably not maximizing the potential there. You may look into one with 50# limbs. Her draw length with generate a little more speed.

My wife loves to bow hunt and with both kids now she doesn't get to do it a lot. I just hate for her to have a bad experience with it when she does get to go.
                    Oh I understand that. It's a craze that goes from 5 to 70 or something like that. I think just a little better quality now that I know she's hooked. I just couldn't stand the water works that were turned on when she realized she hit him wrong. Anyways back to the OP, good luck.

Comment

I shoot a 56lb bow and use Trophy Taker Shuttle 100gr. Have taken 2 deer with these. Both deer at 17 yards or less and shooting thru netting on a pop up blind.

Comment

Any arrow will benefit from more FOC, but low poundage set ups will have a greater benefit.

Any broadhead with a good mechanical advantage that is sharp will be the best bet, but like others have said, there are many options that will work.

Forget about speed, build an arrow that is designed for penetration.

You don't have to go crazy with FOC, something North of 15% will likely be enough, but more certainly isn't going to hurt.

Comment

For me the extra headweight seems to add penetration. It's taken some time to understand and I do not believe I know it all, but two primary factors being kinetic energy and momentum. Obviously EVERYTHING has it's limitations. I will say just practicing I get a solid 3-4 inches more of penetration from my heavier set-up if I shoot the same arrow with less nose weight. I have 100 grain brass inserts in my arrows + 165 grain Bear Razorhead broadheads. My longbow is 51# at my 27" draw and last season it passed almost 10" of arrow through (came out off side) a large sow (see avatar pic) at 25ish yards. The added weight continues to penetrate a little deeper where a lighter arrow might not do to the amount of energy lost at impact. If she is certain she wants to hunt, and please don't overbow her by trying to add to much draw weight, I might start out with something between 25-50 grain insert and a SOLID 2 blade head at least 125 grains. See what the gap between the pins are and if she can effectively shoot the inbetween yardages. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Comment

Can you tell me the benefit of having all that weight up front? I haven't chronographed her bow but 180fps doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility. It just seems like super slow motion to a guy that is used to pushing close to 300fps
                            The weight up front (FOC) aids in penetration by concentrating what kinetic energy and momentum that is generated by the slower lighter poundage bow, and putting all the energy into the killing end of the arrow. I know some will argue that faster heavy poundage bows are going to generate more kinetic energy and more momentum and they are right. But in my opinion and in the opinion of a LOT of great bowyers a high FOC is the best way to get penetration out of lighter poundage slower bows.

Ed Ashby with grizzlystix Alaskan archery has written a lot about the benefits of Extreme FOC heavy cut on contact single bevel broadheads.

I killed a lot of animals prior to switching from light arrows 100 grain heads and 70 lb draw weights, and I have no objection to shooting them today, but Ive found in my shooting traditional equipment set up in this manner (high FOC) I get just as many pass thrus as I did with my Bowtec.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon M. View Post

This what my wife shot for 3 years. Great broad head for low poundage bows. She doesn't know it yet but she now shoots 45# at 24" DL and uses the Wasp 100 grain Hammers. Been shooting them the last two years and those suckers leave a gap. But as far as the Magnus stingers go penetration was never an issue, didn't complete pass throughs every time but penetration was always buried more than half her arrow. Only lost one hog that was pushing 300 pounds but he as found the next day. Shot was high in the ribs so it took him a while to bleed out.

Comment

Working...
                              X