No announcement yet.

Official Davy Crockett 2016-17 national forest hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice deer Flash! hope one steps out in front of you this yr.

Comment

Well made a day of the forest today. Had a new experience. Found a calf about 400yrds in from a pasture toted it about 500yrds out. Loaded it in the back of a rental car took it back home to try to find it's mother. No sucess they wouldn't take it back. It later died with its owner.

That put a bump in the road but we ended up walking about 7 miles and covered some good ground. Hopeful for this year. Jumped 2 bachelor groups. I bet 3 of the 8 bucks went over 130, 1 at least a 140. All in all a good trip once again. I'll make at least 1 more trip in September to check some whiteoaks. Accidentally left the binos at home so I couldn't tell much on the oaks. Gonna be a good year boys!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
      Attached Files

Comment

Nice bucks for sure! I am ready to get back in davy crockett myself and get some cameras out

Comment

I think I may try this out this year, any suggestions on a good base camp area or campground? New to the area so any help would be great, not looking for your spot, just a place to stay on the weekends I go down there. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rydethis View Post
            I think I may try this out this year, any suggestions on a good base camp area or campground? New to the area so any help would be great, not looking for your spot, just a place to stay on the weekends I go down there. Thanks
            Either Mission Tejas state park or Ratcliff Lake if you want power, running water etc. For primitive camping there are "hunt camps" all over the forest just camp on the side of the road. You can find a map of the hunt camps on the USFS website.

Comment

Originally posted by SolocamShooter View Post
              Either Mission Tejas state park or Ratcliff Lake if you want power, running water etc. For primitive camping there are "hunt camps" all over the forest just camp on the side of the road. You can find a map of the hunt camps on the USFS website.
              Thank you

Comment

Heres a couple of DCNF deer. keep in mind these pics were taken over a month ago by a guy I know. Wonder what they look like now????
                Attached Files
                Last edited by GarGuy; 08-11-2016, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Hey guys, just moved over from Louisiana not too long ago and another buddy and I plan to hit up the Davy Crockett/Alabama Creek this season.. I'm new to the public land hunting. Do yall ever have problems with outlaws or anyone messing with vehicles out there? I use to live out by the Kisatchie in Louisiana and there has been known to be some crazies that inhabit those woods. I appreciate any input!

Comment

Those are some studs for sure!

Comment

I've seen a couple good deer driving around near Ratcliff in the NF this year at night. One really good one. I live here but don't hunt out there that much. I might hunt it a little more this year.

Comment

This post is getting me super excited.
                        I recently aquired around 150 additional acres private land completely surrounded by 7K acre deer lease one three sides and DCNF on the other.

The property owner (Family friend) hasnt done anything besides cut a little hay off the smaller pasture for the last 4 or 5 years. All that was asked of me is to kill any hogs on sight. I plan on using some of Gar Guy's handcorn tactics to get on some big deer

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                          This post is getting me super excited.
                          I recently aquired around 150 additional acres private land completely surrounded by 7K acre deer lease one three sides and DCNF on the other.

The property owner (Family friend) hasnt done anything besides cut a little hay off the smaller pasture for the last 4 or 5 years. All that was asked of me is to kill any hogs on sight. I plan on using some of Gar Guy's handcorn tactics to get on some big deer
                          Thats gonna be golden!

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                            Thats gonna be golden!
                            I'll be sure to report any success.

I really enjoyed your stories and reports on the other thread

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                              I'll be sure to report any success.

I really enjoyed your stories and reports on the other thread
                              What part of the county are you in if you dont mind saying?

Half the work is done, its already a sanctuary!

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                                What part of the county are you in if you dont mind saying?

Half the work is done, its already a sanctuary!
                                South Side
                                Havent seen much as far as deer go, still alot of browse and TONS of cover.
                                But geeze, the hogs are ginormous. I hope the deer are just as impressive as the pigs. Lots of sign in the area, but nothing is hitting the corn yet except the hogs, and even their activity has tapered off in recent weeks.
                                Last edited by bloodstick; 08-11-2016, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X