Travel Trailer Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel Trailer Rebuild

I bought a deer lease trailer a few years ago. It needed some work then, and didn't get better with age. Everytime i tried to repair one thing, another broke. So, it's tear it down and rebuild time. Following are pictures of the original.
    Attached Files

I love these kind of projects. Wish I had the patience to tackle something like that.

Comment

These are some pics of it with the skin removed, and knocked down. Once we took the skin off, it took one light push to knock the thing loose. I'm glad i didn't try to haul it to the new lease, On a positive note, we took the window out and plugged it in. Works like a champ!
      Attached Files

Comment

More demolition pics...
        Attached Files

Comment

I've done a couple now. Fun projects, even better when they are done and you get to enjoy.

Comment

...and down to the bare frame... I've got to take some pictures of problem areas (axel and wheel wells) tomorrow and begin solicitation of ideas and a contractor or two tomorrow. I hope this turns out as well as i have it pictured in my cranium. Have a great evening.
            Attached Files

Comment

OMG....WOW...yeah bubba, that's bare bones!!!

Comment

So, ya got a trailer chassis now.

Im in for the rebuild!!!

Comment

Subscribed.. This should be a cool project.

Comment

Subscribed.

Comment

The first things i need to tackle are two things i don't particularly have the knowledge to do. See the pictures below. The axle is bent. The bare trailer pulled from Burleson to N. Ft. Worth ok. But i'm thinking a straight axle is needed for longer hauls. Thoughts? Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, relatively inexpensive, axle place around N. Ft. Worth / Mid-Cities area? I haven't checked You Tube yet, is this something that can be learned and done safely via You Tube instruction? I also need to get a couple of galvanized metal wheel wells fabricated. Has anyone got a lead on a place that fashion some wheel wells for me? (The old wheel wells didn't survive the demolition ) I need a welder for a little iron modification as well.

Anyway, axle replacement and wheel wells are first on the agenda.
                      Attached Files

Comment

AXLES - Why are some axles bent in the middle?
                        The upward bend in the axle is called "camber". Camber is the angular relationship of the wheel to the road surface in the vertical plane. Axles are typically built with a pre-determined bend in the tube that compensates for the expected deflection under load.
                        Im not sure if all axles are supposed to be like this but I have 2 old trailers and they are just like yours.

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
                          AXLES - Why are some axles bent in the middle?
                          The upward bend in the axle is called "camber". Camber is the angular relationship of the wheel to the road surface in the vertical plane. Axles are typically built with a pre-determined bend in the tube that compensates for the expected deflection under load.
                          Im not sure if all axles are supposed to be like this but I have 2 old trailers and they are just like yours.
                          Cool brother! Great information. Thanks.

Comment

1st. You have gone from "re-build", to "fabrication", and I like it! I want to do this someday.

2nd. That axle bend is a good thing!

3rd. I might look into replacing those hubs in favor of some easier to get wheels for.

I'm following.

Comment

You can probably get fenders very reasonable at tractor supply....is it possible the axles straighten out when the weight is on them??

Comment

Working...
                              X