No announcement yet.

Fannin Unit Caddo Grasslands-Archery Only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

went this weekend. Only jumped one little buck. Lots of walking. did find a rub line and 4 scrapes. My first good sign up their. Care taker said the rut hasnt started yet. No deer movement so far. May try to get a group to go up and rent the club house in a few weeks.

Comment

Gonna try to get the lodge for next weekend. Not sure how many friends are going yet. $70 a night for the lodge that has electricity. Think I will have two others going, but you never no. If anyone has any interest in going, let me know. Im pretty sure the lodge would hold 6 to 8 people. I will check it out next week.

Comment

I have been wanting to take my dad and put some meat in the freezer. I was wondering about the hog hunting up there and if it was worth the drive up there or not. thanks for any info

Comment

Well I don't know that I would drive from Liberty Hill to there to hunt hogs, but it is close enough to a few other spots with potential also. the Ladonia unit has a good amount of pigs as well as Cooper WMA.

Comment

Yeah, that is a long drive to hunt pigs. Dont get me wrong, their are alot of pigs up their, but their are alot of pigs all over TX.

Comment

last hunt on big deer for the season

Saw three does and one unknown, by a scrape up their this weekend. Really wish I could have at least seen how big the deer was that made these. Oh well, he will be even bigger next year, unless he gets hit by a car or someone gets him in the next couple of weeks.
              Attached Files

Comment

I spent the day scoutin out the fannin unit today, I saw signs of hogs most everywhere I went, but section 38 down in the river bottom had the most hog activity. Section 37 and 36 looked to be the best areas for deer. Lots of acorns at 36 with fresh deer tracks all over the place. Talked to the forest ranger who patrols the area and he said hog season ends March 6. I didnt ask him but it looks like someone has been hunting with dogs in section 38. Not sure if that is legal.

Comment

The close date for hog season is March 13, 2011 on the Caddo (Boise d'Arc and Ladonia) WMA. Lake Fannin is not part of the WMA, so it would be surprising if Fannin is subject to that date. It is subject to all Fannin county TPWD dates for certain. I'll double check that with the GW. There is no actual "season" for wild hogs in Texas since they are exotics and thus not protected game animals.

There are some very healthy coyotes running around the area. And there are plenty of hog skeletons strewn around the way a dog pack scatters things (we found a fully intact skull last week). What kind of sign indicates dog hunting was taking place versus coyotes being opportunistic? Not saying it isn't taking place but I've been in the northern area after dark, and the coyotes make their presence known with enough gusto to make you pick up your pace to get out.

Comment

Yeah, I have heard three different packs howling in the afternoon. Saw one and one fox, but couldnt get a shot. If you are hunting the north cut-over, I almost got ran over by guys on donkeys, with pitbulls. I called the game warden, but he was on the other side of the county. He was supposed to follow up on it. He thought he knew who it was.

Comment

I talked to a Forest Service Ranger who is responsible for patroling the Lake Fannin unit. His name is Chris if you PM me I'll give you his number. He told me hog season ends at Fannin on March 6th. The reason I suspect dogs are being used is the size of the tracks and the scat I was finding was dog scat. I found coyote scat as well. There is a difference due to thier diets.

Comment

Here is the sign on the the gates at Fannin. It does not say anything about hog season.

Comment

The dog hunting information is good to know about. I've only been down in that area once.

Comment

thanks it is great

Comment

I cant wait....Ive got goosebumps already!Fannin County here I come!Anybody know the regulations or should I just go with the flow and use common sense?Thanks for any feedback!

Comment

You should send off for the map if you don't have one. Also stop by the park caretaker, robin, talk with him. I will be bringing a few opening weekend, but then hunting grapevine. Good luck to all!

Comment

Working...
                                X