The Official Scotch Whiskey Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
    I started with Burbon when I was 17. As I grew older, I progressed to burbon whiskey. Then Whiskey, Then scotch Whiskey (blended mostly). Now, it's just scotch. See a trend?

Except I do like a good drink-n whiskey just for drink-n once in a while. Or shooters with a beer chaser. But prefer a good scotch for ease-n back.
    Trend seems to be you don’t stick with things. Just kidding.

Comment

have to go with the younger glenlivets . I think its the 18 or 21....had a bottle of their older I believe 35? It was a high dollar gift I received and thought it was too smokey tasting for me. hard to beat a decent scotch and on occasion pairing it with a nice cigar...come to think of it, it has been awhile

Comment

As mentioned Balvenie double wood 12 year is hard to beat. Don’t drink scotch very often any more & have had some high dollar stuff but this to me is the best bang for the buck.

Comment

Balvenie double wood 12 year is good.

For less money and still a lot of flavor I enjoy Monkey Shoulder as a regular drink.

Comment

Is Johnny Walker really from Scotland?

Comment

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
              My favorites are, not in any order.

Lagavulin 16 as mentioned above
              Laphraoig
              Scapa
              Oban
              Cardhu
              Balvenie

I’m a scotch guy. That’s a good list. Haven’t tried Scapa or Cardhu. I’d add Yamazaki if you can find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                It is a blend. I am sure some of it is...

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                  Yes, it is.
                  I actually sat through "a night with Johnnie Walker". 2007. They fed us small food and gave coins to trade for JW Black drinks. Then came the show. We met each and every distiller of the each of the scotch they make. Video presentation, talk and a glass of the scotch the distiller was responsible for making. You got to drink each scotch as they spoke about how, what, when and where. After the class we all were given the striding man JW lapel pin.
                  This is what they taught me that evening. Keep in mind, this was 2007. Double Black and Platinum were not out yet.
                  Red was recommended for mixing, Black on the rocks, Green before a meal with no ice, room temp. Gold label, chilled in fridge and served with sweets like desert.
                  Blue label. Room temp and ONLY with special friends.
                  Needless to say, we wobbled on out having a very memorable evening that happened all by accident

Comment

Like me a good scotch. Also a big fan of Irish whiskey.

Comment

As much as I love bourbon, I am a light weight when it comes to scotch. I like what most scotch drinkers turn their noses up at, Johnnie Walker Black Label.

Comment

Balvenie& Aberlor ard what I usually buy.

Comment

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
                          As much as I love bourbon, I am a light weight when it comes to scotch. I like what most scotch drinkers turn their noses up at, Johnnie Walker Black Label.

Don’t feel bad. Johnnie Walker Black is good stuff. Scotch drinkers don’t turn their noses up at it.

The pretentious tools who claim to do so are in the same vein as the craft beer snobs. Their declarations may be dismissed out of hand.[emoji6]

Comment

LOL thanks. A guy at the liquor store actually gave me some grief about it saying it wasn't "real" scotch.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                              I have a bottle of the Balvenie Doublewood right now and it’s really good, I do like heir Caribbean cask a little better. Macallan I’ve only had the 12 and 18 so I’ll have to try the rest and the Dalwhinnie.

My BIL is a big scotch fan but he loves heavy peat and I just haven’t gotten there yet. Laphroaig and Talisker are a little heavy for me
                              I LOVE the Balvenie Carribean Cask!!! I'm in Scotland right now and plan on taking a couple tours. I plan on bringing back a couple bottles of stuff I can't get at home.

Comment

Originally posted by bdog14 View Post
                                I’m a scotch guy. That’s a good list. Haven’t tried Scapa or Cardhu. I’d add Yamazaki if you can find it.

Yamazaki is on my hit list for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X