Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up an ILF bow.

So I'm new to traditional archery.
    I recently purchased a Hoyt riser and Black Max II limbs. I'm trying to get the bow tuned up and ready to shoot.

Initially when I got the bow the limb bolts were turned out some.

Here you can see how far they were out.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

So I loosened up the bolts on the back of the riser and turned the limb bolts in.

They won't turn any more, but the limbs aren't touching the riser all the way.
    Is this normal?

Comment

My brace height is just under 8.25 and the tiller is almost equal at 6.5 on the top and 6 5/8 on the bottom.

So, what do I do now?

Comment

That’s not how they work if you shoot it like that it will break your limbs. You need to have play in them. I recommend doing a google search on ilf basics and looking at trad talk etc. I wouldn’t mind typing it out but there are so much better resources available and it’s a lot to type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It appears as those have stops on them it might not bind the limbs but can’t tell from pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post
            That’s not how they work if you shoot it like that it will break your limbs. You need to have play in them. I recommend doing a google search on ilf basics and looking at trad talk etc. I wouldn’t mind typing it out but there are so much better resources available and it’s a lot to type.

How much play? There is a gap between the limb and the riser.

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post
              It appears as those have stops on them it might not bind the limbs but can’t tell from pictures.

What do you need to see? I can take pictures.

Comment

It looks like an excel or similar riser which has stops. I’d recommend backing them one turn out from bottom and see if the limb will rock back and forth easily. If there is no bind and it rocks smooth with no bind you can string. Use a bow square to measure the distance from the limb where it meets the riser to the string on both limbs. If it is the same that is even tiller which I shoot three under with. If it’s not you can unstrung and adjust it or explore other tiller settings. You will also want to set your brace height by measuring from the throat of your grip to sting and adjust that by twisting your string. I’m guessing 8” will get you close.

Comment

I believe that on that riser you can safely back the bolts out three full turns which should give you around 10% weight adjustment. Check the owners manual to be for sure it’s been years since I owned a Hoyt excell. I shoot warfs and wood risers now and they don’t have stops on the bolts

Comment

I bought it used, so no owners manual. Bolts were turned out and it was noisy. I'm not getting much draw weight out of it also.
                    I will try and back them down one turn.and twist my string up to get more brace height.

When you talk about rocking the limbs, is that with it strung or not?

Comment

The limbs pull out easily and do have a bit of side to side rock where they are before I adjust them

Yes it is a Hoyt excel riser. I guess I need to see if I can find an owners manual online.

Comment

Unstrung. I’m not sure sure of riser length or limb length but probably 81/4 or 81/2 brace height.

Comment

Brace height and limb tiller will cause noise issues as well as arrows that are too light or strings that are too heavy etc.

Comment

I think the limbs are good where they are, but I could turn them out a bit. I need to increase the brace height a bit so I can twist the string. Do I want an even tiller or a slightly offset tiller. I was told that I want the upper limb to be a bit more than the bottom. Up to 1/4". However I am trying to start shooting three under instead of split. So perhaps I do want even.

Tried to find the owners manual online. I found several, but none that look the same.

Comment

I like an even tiller but that’s just what I found that works best for me. Those limb bolts make it pretty easy I don’t think you can over tighten them just make sure not to back out more than three full turns from bottom. I’d give even a try and then you can try a offset tiller. The fun of the ilf is the tinkering that you can do. Just make sure you have the brace over 8 and not higher than 9. Somewhere in there will be a sweet spot where it will get quieter and feel better on the shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X