Thinking of buying a .17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pure lefty View Post
    22 mag is more powerful than 17 hmr, 17 wsm out does the 22 mag. Look at reviews on chuckhawks.com. Then decide. I have had all 3 and a friend has the A17. Mine is savage B mag. I would take the 17 wsm all day, wish I had saved the target with less than 1” groups at 200. Only mistake I made with it is not realizing how fast it is and wasted 4 rounds on adjustments from 100 to 200 which is almost none. Go wsm, you won’t regret it, blast to shoot.

One thing I would look at it when comparing calibers is ammo cost. If it is going to be a fun you shoot frequently, you may want to get a caliber that has cheaper ammo. That’s one of the reasons I went with the 17hmr over a center fire. I was looking at a 204 or 22-250 but wanted something I could shoot regularly without breaking the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I love my Savage.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

17hornet
        Savage m25

Comment

I've got a bmag. Shoots "fair" but poor built gun. Hard to cycle and won't grab/eject the spent brass 1/2 the time.

Devastating on critters though. Dropped a 200# hog at 80 yds and a yote at 185 yds.

Wish there were more options out there in this caliber.

The round is awesome. And $15 per 50.

Comment

I've got a ruger HMR thats a tack driver. Easily hit a quarter at 100 yards. Bolt action, I really like it

Comment

I have a CZ527 Varmint in 17 Hornet. It is a sweet round and perfect for fox as to not blow out a hole. Haven’t killed a yote yet but wouldn’t hesitate with it.

Comment

I have had the savage 93R for a few years now it is my favorite gun to shoot. After a work on it mine shoots 1 ragged hole at 75 yds. I put a Rifle basix trigger and bottom metal and put the gun in a boyds stock pillar bedded it. Killed a bunch of pigs with it.

Comment

The .17 HMR is my buddies go to gun for pretty much anything but deer. I've seen him make 100 + pound hogs sit down in their tracks... bad little round.

Comment

Liked my 17 but wind direction was a HUGE factor.

Comment

I've got a cz 452 american that is stupid accurate. I'll sell it to you for 420. BSA sweet 17 included

Comment

HMR gets my vote. Deadly to a ranged 238 yards on large birds. Surprised what it did on pigs.

I've had mine since they came out. Single shot new England with a tasco world class. Hard to beat a better shooting rifle for under 300 bucks including scope and rings

Comment

The HMR is probably my favorite of all my rifles. Crazy accurate with commercial ammo, although not the most surprising cause it is a rimfire. I couldn't tell you how many varmints, coyotes, and other small, and not so small critters I have taken with it. Ive shot pigs up to 150lbs with it and they were dead in there tracks. Only issue I've ever had with it is on coons. I got cocky and decided to shoot one behind the shoulder and it ran off and never found it, then another I shot in the head between the eyes and it skipped off his skull and just took some hair with it. learned my lesson and will only take broadside head shots with it. I also know a few people that might have killed deer with them but I don't know, even though it would be definitely capable.

I absolutely love my Savage 93r17

Comment

I have a Marlin 17HMR

It's a blast to shoot. I did a reduced power trigger spring, and it's even better. I've shot a pile of coons, a few coyotes and even a few small pigs with it.

Topped with a 4-14x scope, it's great for target and hunting.

Someday, I'd like a 17 centerfire.

Comment

My Bmag shoots okay. I just wish they offered more ammo choices like a FMJ. Mine his killed many critters. I use mine on public land where rimfires are required, otherwise I would probably have went with a centerfire 17.

Comment

I shoot the 17 Remington and love that little caliber but I also reload so I don't know what factory rounds are available for it. Have two rifles in that caliber, an older Remington 700 BDL and a CZ 527 Varmint. It is a great little caliber if you have not looked at it.

Comment

Working...
                                X