No announcement yet.

Why I Switchsd to Thumb Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Within the first week it was "How I backhanded myself in the nose" Loved my old Chocolate addiction 3 finger..

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
      .... I've been with my Stan for 3 or 4 years now and I don't think I could ever go back to a wrist release
      Love my Stan.

I never switched from a thumb release. I hated those other kinds. LOL.

I shot a Hot Shot string release from the 80s made in Rockwall up until two years ago. It finally died. I was in depression for months til I found my Stan.

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
        Here's a picture of it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
        No
        No
        No

Those are too much like the strap to your wrist kind. Not very smooth.

Try the ones with the stainless "hook" that does not clamp. Much smoother.

Comment

Well you coulda just started shooting left handed instead.

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
            I bought my at cabelas about 4 years ago. same with my brothers.
            Did you try to adjust the holding weight? There should be a very small Allen set screw on the head, or in the handle at the T. If it is set too light it will fire prematurely under load.

You can also accidentally set that model off with the palm of your hand if it hits the trigger. Oh and don't draw your bow without an arrow ever!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
              Did you try to adjust the holding weight? There should be a very small Allen set screw on the head, or in the handle at the T. If it is set too light it will fire prematurely under load.

You can also accidentally set that model off with the palm of your hand if it hits the trigger. Oh and don't draw your bow without an arrow ever!!!
              Yes, I did adjust it afterwards, but now I'm scared to try it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

So...which one do you shoot better with?

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                  So...which one do you shoot better with?

It's hard to compare because I shot trigger index release for 30 years and I feel like I shot fairly well with it. I've only been using thumb for 5 months. My groups are at least equivalent at 20 yards, but I'm just now extending that out beyond 20. I think over the long run I'll be more consistent with the thumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  My Flickr Photos

Comment

I had shot with the wrist release for years. One morning as I started to draw back on a buck...with absolutely dead still air...as the release tightened on my wrist due to tension, it made the slightest squeak. The deer heard that.

After that I bought a hand held Cobra. Over the years I have tried various releases. A true fire hardcore max buckle(gonna sell it), I also have and am trying the max hunter thumb release pictured above.

I am having a hard time getting used to the thumb release. Seems I always end up with the trusted cobra.

Comment

Good stuff! Along with all of the other advantages, it looks like you found where your anchor point should have been all along! [emoji3]

Great video. Very informative!

Skinny

Comment

I switched to the chocolate addiction. Thinking of switching back.

Had one misfire over the top of a hog due to the 'trigger' hitting my jacket. Most of my practice I'm not wearing a jacket.

Another as I was in a ground blind just by rotating my body on practice draw. Right thru the side.

I do like shooting with it. But concerned for potential mishaps.

Comment

Great video Michael.

Between Tracy (my wife) and I we have about $1500.00 worth of back tension, thumb button, and wrist style releases. I use a Tru Ball Sweet Spot pure back tension exclusively for 3D and indoor. Of course I have to have 3. One set up up for 3D, one set up for indoor (hinge speed set differently for each) and a backup. Tracy uses a Carter Chocolate Lite for target and hunting. She has to have a backup as well. So there's 5 x $200.00 + right there.

For hunting I prefer a wrist style index finger release. In index finger releases I have Scott's, Carter's, Tru Ball, and Fletcher's. My primary go to release is my 1984 model Fletcher Fletch Hunter that I have used for the last 34 years about 98% of the time. Yeah....there is hardly any of the original finish left on this one.

I set up a thumb button for hunting one year. It was one of the Carter Just Cuz (not the Just B Cuz) which was designed by Forrest Carter and Dave Cousins. Great release as is the Just B Cuz. Anyway... I set up my bow and got it sighted in for the Just Cuz. Opening morning I was hunting a game tamer treestand. Got up in my stand and prompted dropped my release[emoji21]. I went ahead and used it foy about 3 hunts that year but went back to my Fletch Hunter. Shot execution and accuracy was the same with either one for me. Of course your bow and sight in has to be set up for each as you stated. My index finger release is easier for me to keep up with...... although I have left it in camp before.[emoji57]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by Arrowsmith; 06-16-2018, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                            Love my Stan.

I never switched from a thumb release. I hated those other kinds. LOL.

I shot a Hot Shot string release from the 80s made in Rockwall up until two years ago. It finally died. I was in depression for months til I found my Stan.
                            I think I still have one of the old Hot Shot's with the cord on it.

Comment

Originally posted by dfkoon View Post
                              I switched to the chocolate addiction. Thinking of switching back.

Had one misfire over the top of a hog due to the 'trigger' hitting my jacket. Most of my practice I'm not wearing a jacket.

Another as I was in a ground blind just by rotating my body on practice draw. Right thru the side.

I do like shooting with it. But concerned for potential mishaps.
                              It sounds like you may have light trigger tension. I kept the standard spring because I don't want it too sensitive to avoid misfires or have it bump something while I'm walking and lose it.
                              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                                I had a bad habit of trying to punch the trigger with my index finger, plus the strap release was putting a lot of strain on my elbow. Thumb release solved both issues. It is a much different anchor point, in fact I can't say I even have an anchor point other than my peep, string on nose and chin, and E35 at the back wall.
                                Will switching to a thumb release relieve stress put on my right bicep when drawing???

Comment

Working...
                                X