No announcement yet.

5 Day Coolers - Coleman VS. Igloo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got 2 of the 5 day Igloos and it seems they are no better than their regular coolers... don't have any Colemans but I'll probably buy Coleman next time just to give 'em a try... seems to be pretty well liked here on the green screen... and that's good 'nuf fer me... And NO I ain't buyin' no Yetti neither (at least not yet...)

Comment

Originally posted by chehunt View Post
      Kent: you "should" have filled it with meat, but......oh, nevermind.
      I know thats right

Comment

I like the coleman, when its full of meat.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapper View Post
          I saw a 120 qt at Sams in Katy today for $68.00. 7 day Igloo. It was such a great deal, I bought one.
          The Sams off of 610 by Reliant stadium in Houston, have the 150 qt. for 68.00 and it is the 7 day. I used it on Sat. for drinks for a concession stand and I checked it this morning and there is still ice in it. It sat in the Expedition till Tuesday. I just got it but have no complaints yet.

Comment

A Coleman Extreme holds ice fairly well.

I keep a cooler in the back of my truck at ALL times. I buy less ice with the Coleman than I did with the Igloo.

And Joey's right. If you have the choice, buy ice from Sonic. It lasts much better.

Comment

If you keep them in the shade & out of the direct sun it helps a bunch & a light color or white.

Comment

Another vote for Coleman Extreme here. Love my Coleman's and cuss Igloo all the time. The ONLY disadvantage to a Coleman is getting spare parts. That being said you don't need them near as often as you do for Igloos.

Comment

I can honestly say without a doubt my Coleman Extreme holds ice better than my Yeti. It certainly isn't as durable, but I can easily get 3 days in the summer with my Coleman.

Comment

Make ice last longer: Put packing peanuts in a sealable plastic bag and place on top of the ice in your ice chest. The ice will last longer and everything will stay colder.

I haven't tried this but it comes from one of those frugal living/green sites.

Comment

Dont buy the one with the access hatch on the top its not insulated well. Dont buy dark colors, and if you hvae a choice buy the one with a tight fitting lid and never sit on it or you'll warp the lid and it will not seal and there goes your ice
                      I saw a test somewhere where the guys put a bunch of coolers in a real world test and the ones that did well were the igloo marine 96 qt was best for under $100

Ok, found the link, it was on 2coolfishing back in 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Evictor View Post
                        Dont buy the one with the access hatch on the top its not insulated well. Dont buy dark colors, and if you hvae a choice buy the one with a tight fitting lid and never sit on it or you'll warp the lid and it will not seal and there goes your ice
                        I saw a test somewhere where the guys put a bunch of coolers in a real world test and the ones that did well were the igloo marine 96 qt was best for under $100

Ok, found the link, it was on 2coolfishing back in 2007

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/sh...t=cooler+igloo
                        Looks like their test didn't include a Coleman. Would have been interesting to see.

Comment

I looked at the yetis at ultramatic to see what the fuss was all about- to me the fuss would be all about the price. Maybe if I was transport heart/organs and had no way to add more ice, etc.. .for a week, but come on- the price is insane on these, I dont care how good they keep ice- its ice....

my dad goes fishing and camps for a month at a time sometimes. They got tired of buying ice so he makes his own. he has a tupperware container and makes a huge block or two a day- puts one on drinks, one on fish, and keeps the extras in a walmart bag in the chest freezer. It is daily duty, but they end up with cold drinks, cold fish in the boat all day/night, and a chest freezer full of fillets by the end of the month.

Buckees makes it hard to justify buying a yeti

Comment

I've got no brands preference one way or the other.

A few weeks ago I picked up a wheeled green (didn't know the no dark rule) Extreme 5 Coleman (90 or 100qt ? ) cooler from academy for ~$59.00.

I figured at that price it was worth a shot.
                            I'm slowly trying to convert my stock over to all wheeled coolers to help save my back. This is my third.

So far so good. No real complains yet.
                            The longer handle for using the wheels does close the drain when the handle is in the down position, which I felt was kinda odd.

Here is my ice trick- I freeze water in cool whip & wanna be butter (country crock) containers & line the bottom of the cooler with a few of those. After I add my contents I pour the cubed store bought stuff on top.
                            I normally end up dumping a few of those 1/2 melted ice chunks in the yard when my trip is over.
                            The reason I use the cool whip/butter containers over milk jugs is I don't have to fight to get it out. Just run some water over the container & it pops right out.

Good luck with your decision.

Comment

I've tried both and in hot weather, don't think any of them very good, but I have had better luck with the Coleman than the Igloo. Before I fill with Ice, I'll put a block in the day before to cool down the cooler. Then I will add drinks and food and fill up with ice. I cover the top of the ice with the empty ice bags and it helps the ice to last much much longer. Just a extra layer of insulation that makes an air lock between the outside and the ice.

Comment

Working...
                              X