Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
    Finally got my email yesterday and I drew unit 3. Apparently I dont need to worry about doing any scouting this year as it's only 100 acres and I'll be hunting in a stand they provide.
    Sounds like you're describing unit 13? Unit 3 is 1,111-acres and is Open.

Comment

Originally posted by WamBow View Post
      Sounds like you're describing unit 13? Unit 3 is 1,111-acres and is Open.
      Yes, my mistake. I'll be in unit 13.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 2.08.01 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	24517526

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 2.08.20 PM.png
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	24517527

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 2.09.37 PM.jpg
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	24517528

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 2.09.57 PM.jpg
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	24517529

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 2.10.09 PM.jpg
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	24517530

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 2.20.23 PM.png
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	24517531

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 2.30.12 PM.jpg
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	24517532

This is where my interest is right now. Going out the 4-5th to take a look. From the maps what do yall think?

Comment

FF36,
          That spot looks like it definitely has potential!

Comment

Originally posted by potbelly01 View Post
            Me and my dad drew unit 8. Has anyone hunting that unit in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I’ll be in unit 8. Need to meet up with y’all guys

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
              I’ll be in unit 8. Need to meet up with y’all guys

What weekend are you hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by potbelly01 View Post
                what weekend are you hunting.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
                12/1-12/03

Comment

New here. My son and I got Unit 9. has anyone ever hunted this unit.

We are going 12/8-12/10, I am trying to get up there to scout on 11/16 or 11/30.

Thanks

Comment

I scouted Unit 3 today. It took several hours, as I wanted to find a decent list of spots in case my 1st choice or 2 are taken before I get setup. I think it would be easier if they just gave us set cones again this year, but whatever....

I seen some deer at 3PM, which is a good sign. Lots of feeders in adjacent property.
                    Hopefully they will scare all the deer into the preserve by Nov 10th.

In general, the unit is pretty overgrown and very dry. There are lots of spots that would be promising some years, but the scrub brush is obscuring what would otherwise be good shooting lanes and the tanks are dry.

Ran into a youth hunter with his Dad, so I shared as much info as I could. More important for him to get one in the 1st week than me in the 2nd week. Good luck to all the kiddos this coming weekend.

Comment

I went and scouted 10. Found a good little spot by a pond with a lot of sign and bumped some does bedded down. I can only see about 60 yards by 60 yards in this little area. Up top at the back there is a bigger opening thats a good 300 yards by 400 yards. I'm kinda thinking of that spot just because I can see a lot more area and hopefully catching something crossing to the draw down to the pond.

Comment

Unit 7

My daughter and I are headed to Balcones this weekend for the youth hunt.
                        Does anyone have any info on unit 7 as we have never been here before

Comment

unit 12

hey y'all

haven't been out to scout yet. anyone have any idea about unit 12 or does anyone else have 12? good luck to all.

Comment

Originally posted by Cjwall88 View Post
                            My daughter and I are headed to Balcones this weekend for the youth hunt.
                            Does anyone have any info on unit 7 as we have never been here before
                            You will be assigned a cone to park at. You can move anywhere around the unit and hunt anywhere but have to park near that cone. A utv would give you more options on where to hunt in the unit.

Comment

My son and I will be on unit 7 this weekend also. Think they did away with the parking cones this year, but maybe they will a sign one at check in. Have read that there is some very steep terrain and roads can be difficult for trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                                You will be assigned a cone to park at. You can move anywhere around the unit and hunt anywhere but have to park near that cone. A utv would give you more options on where to hunt in the unit.
                                I haven’t heard much about 7 as far as success. Seems like it is a big unit. Has anyone ever hunted this unit

Comment

Working...
                                X