Scored a sweet job without much effort!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been teaching a couple of classes for the last 3 years at Lonestar College near the house in Kingwood.

My eventual goal was to retire from the sheriff's office and try to get on at Sam Houston State in Huntsville due to the fact that I went to school there, it's not too far from our retirement property in Centerville, and it's the biggest Criminal Justice school in the country (at least that's what I've heard.)

But I was also told that most of their teaching positions go to PhDs or PhD candidates.

Last week I got a wild hair and emailed a lady that I knew in the CJ dept. when I was getting my masters. I told her I was looking for a teaching position at Sam but needed an online class or a class at the Woodlands University Center since Huntsville is too far to drive right now. I didn't want to waste my time filling out the huge online application with letters of recommendation, transcripts, etc. if there was no chance of me getting an online or Woodlands class.

She put me in contact with the MAN (big wig over CJ). He emailed me and then he told me to send him a resume detailing my teaching and law enforcement experience. I did and then he conducted a short phone interview. He told me thanks and he would be in touch. Got an offer yesterday to teach TWO classes online (Criminal Investigation and Police Systems & Practices) in the upcoming fall semester. I thought about it for 10 seconds or so and accepted.

This is great because it gets my foot in the door with the SHSU system and I can have a nice retirement gig in about 5 or 6 years.

The classes are pretty time intensive the first semester while you're getting everything set up and all the materials prepared...but after that it's gravy.

And I likes me some gravy.

This is a good milestone for me because I had to drop out of school twice (once when my dad had cancer and moved in with us and once when I had cancer). My ability to keep in the game, not lose my job at the County, and eventually finish school was due in no small part to the generosity of TBH'ers during my 3 year colon cancer ordeal. So thanks!!!!!!!!!

Nicely done sir! You have more than earned it! Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome! Glad for you. One of the good guys

Comment

good things DO happen to good people. Congrats.

Comment

congrats...

Comment

Congrats man. I'd imagine that was a load off your shoulders trying to get things to fall into place.

Comment

Online classes were the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats Bobby!

Comment

Very cool. Congrats

Comment

congrats!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats and awesome timing. God is good. Good luck.

Comment

Nice! Way to go

Comment

Good deal! I'm hoping for the same in about 8-10. The instructors for the college up here make some bank.

Comment

Congrat's Chew !

Comment

Way to go, Chew! Hard work pays off

Comment

Working...
                              X