No announcement yet.

Setting up an ILF bow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've noticed that as a string gets twisted it makes a difference in noise and vibration.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
      I've noticed that as a string gets twisted it makes a difference in noise and vibration.

Once you get to much twist, absolutely they do.

That gets back to what I said about them acting like a retention spring.
      Because they are springy, they don't stop moving as quickly, they don't stop the limbs from moving as quickly, and they allow more after the shot travel past brace of the limbs. All of which equates to more noise, less stability, and degraded performance.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
        Performance will actually start to degrade some beyond 1.5 twist per inch, but it isn't enough for most to notice it. Once you get to the 2.5 to 3 twists per inch & beyond, then the string starts acting like a retention coil spring, and the degrading of the performance becomes more noticeable.

It isn't a real big deal as far as structural integrity is concerned, unless the string is twisted so much that it coils back & kinks up on itself when relaxed, then you've got a problem, and a string destine to break eventually.

Damian, if your string isn't kinking up when you relax it, don't worry about it. For now.

Rick
        Rick

It doesn't coil back on itself.
        I took a video of me shooting, but no clue how to post it. Bow sounds very quiet. Arrows were almost touching from 5, 25, and 20+. Although shooting in the dark is not that easy.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

Here is the string and puff ball

Comment

String relaxed

Comment

BTW Rick I didn't know exactly how to change the brace height, so I added some twists of the string. Don't know if this was good or bad, but that's what I did.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                BTW Rick I didn't know exactly how to change the brace height, so I added some twists of the string. Don't know if this was good or bad, but that's what I did.

That's How you do it.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                  That's How you do it.

Rick

Comment

So I think if I'm looking at this right I've got about 1.5 to 1.75 twists per inch.
                    Again, I may not be looking at it correctly.

Comment

Looks good.

Comment

It's twisted up pretty good, but still just fine.

Comment

If you look there is one strand of black twisted around the orange. So, if you use that as a reference, then I don't even have one twist in one inch. But, that may not be how you do it!

Comment

Went and saw my friend ( former Olympic Archer.
                            Checked out my bow, did a slight adjustment and went to shooting

Form is good, though I occasionally dip my head and don't leave it straight up.
                            Figured out my 500 arrows at full length and 145gr tips are best.

Right when we were done, he measured my draw length and said its 29! ( Who knew)

Never thought about it, but do I need to increase my brace height?

Comment

Went and saw my friend ( former Olympic Archer.
                              Checked out my bow, did a slight adjustment and went to shooting

Form is good, though I occasionally dip my head and don't leave it straight up.
                              Figured out my 500 arrows at full length and 145gr tips are best.

Right when we were done, he measured my draw length and said its 29! ( Who knew)

Never thought about it, but do I need to increase my brace height?

Having a former Oly Archer as a friend is a valuable resource.
                              Let him help you all he is willing to do.

If the arrows are tuning & shooting well, and the bow is quiet, don't change the brace height.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                                Having a former Oly Archer as a friend is a valuable resource.
                                Let him help you all he is willing to do.

If the arrows are tuning & shooting well, and the bow is quiet, don't change the brace height.

Rick
                                Thanks, I meant to ask him, but we were walking into his house for some eggs. And , well, eggs won! Lol

Shot a doe (MLD) that morning then shot the bow and figured out the arrows. It was a great day. As soon as I get the tips and broafheads and some more practice, we are going to chase some pigs on his lease. Hoping to get some kills under my belt. Build my confidence.

Comment

Working...
                                X