No announcement yet.

Got a lease, lets talk spring turkey.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scout & find their most common roosting area.

Slip in & setup about 80 to 100 yards from said area.
    If you're going to use a blind set it up several days ahead of time,
    and do it midday, or in the dark of night.

Get in there EARLY, and start calling a little at First Light (preferably before they come off roost), and Call Sparingly, until you know you are being gobbled at. Then every time he gobbles, call again, OR gobble if you have a way to.

Decoys are a game changer. Not necessarily for drawing them in (which they sometimes do, and sometimes don't) BUT what I like the most about them is - it gets the birds eyes looking somewhere other than at YOU.

If you use decoys, use two.
    One Jake, and one hen.
    Set the Jake at your chosen distance Facing You.
    Set the Hen at your chosen distance Facing Away from you.
    That way, whether he comes it to fight, or to breed, he will give you a shot with him facing away from you, AND the poopie chute makes a darn fine target, and kills em quick if you hit it.

I like going after them in the morning, BUT usually after about 10:30 a.m. to about 2:30 p.m., the hens have quit paying any attention to the gobblers, so they will respond to calling real well at that time, ESPECIALLY if they are hot.

Rick

Comment

They got great eye sight be still and don't call to much

Comment

I always set my blind up the morning I am hunting and have turkeys right at the blind, they don't seem to care about blinds like deer do. I love hunting turkeys with a bow, but never even got off a shot until I started using a blind. Before I was busted EVERY time getting my bow in position, their eyesight is amazing.

In this pic our decoys were set to the left and the turkeys were walking past very close. Unfortunately this day no mature gobblers showed up, I passed up several jakes. I am not sure about Texas I haven't read the laws yet, but in PA the spring season is gobblers only. I could have shot a jake but not a hen. But I was holding out for one of the longbeards we saw scouting. I ending up missing one about 3 hours later. We moved the blind along a logging road and he came right into the decoy. But I rushed the shot and blew it. This hunt taught me I love blind for turkeys.

EDIT: This is the video of the miss. I should have waited for him to turn and come back to the decoy but when he started walking away I pulled a rookie move and rushed it. The bow sounds loud because my friend is holding is phone right by my bow (Bowtech compound I wasn't back to trad yet)

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Last edited by stickbowcoop; 02-07-2018, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Try and establish a relationship with a local who you can contact to ascertain when the toms are really active in their breeding activities. Feed store owners are sometimes a good source. Plan your trips around this time if possible. They are much more responsive to calling during these times. I'm sorry to say that my biggest problem has been recovering the bird after the shot. Learn exactly where that small vital area is and I'm going to take the advice of using a string tracker this year.
          Good luck

Comment

corn and horny turkey talk is a magical combination.

middle! middle!

Comment

Congrats on lease..Hoping it turns out to be everything you ever wanted..I'm not much of a Turkey Hunter, never got that mad at them...Been around them lots/corn is your friend and they got EYES like Eagle

Comment

Working...
              X