Pre hunt jitters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre hunt jitters

Going downrange in 20 days for my first actual hunt. Getting my gear together and I'm already getting excited about the prospect. I'm shooting as often as I can (about every other day with my work schedule) for as long as my back and arms can take it. I'm NOT shooting until I'm exhausted just until I can feel my form start to come apart.

My shooting is not terrible I guess but the difference between my 10 yard groups and my 15 yard groups is something just scary. I mean it's only 5 freaking yards farther...... I'm slowing down and picturing an animal out there instead of my target and when I focus on the "animal" my shooting suffers. If I focus on the "target" the groups tighten back up fractionally.

If this is honest pre-hunt jitters I'm going to be a starving wreck out at the hunt.

Thoughts?

Richard.

Sounds like you are way overthinking it

Comment

You’ll be fine. When the animal is actually in front of you, you don’t think about it much. It becomes automatic. Good huntin to you sir.

Comment

Whoa, bud! Take a few deep breaths! Consider taking one day off from shooting if you get panicky about the forthcoming hunt. Then only shoot 10-15 good shots a day from here till the hunt. Trust your training and visualize your shot before it ever happens. You'll do great!

Comment

You will just shoot on cruise control at an animal. Don't overthink everything. What are you hunting? Practice the same as your going to be shooting on your hunt. You will do fine

Comment

I got nothing.

Comment

Relax, you will do fine. Think only about where you want the arrow to go and it will go there. You have practiced a lot - trust yourself. Similar to golf - if your last thought before you swing is “don’t hit it in the water,” you will hit it in the water. See nothing in your minds eye but the arrow hitting your spot. You got this!

Comment

Well I can tell you this...every time I have a hunt coming up it seems like my shooting falls apart just a few days ahead of time. It's just nerves. Once I get in the woods I settle in and do fine. Don't overthink it. If it's the hunt that I think you're going on, I'd be more worried about where to hide a few Snickers bars and Vienna sausages!!

Comment

Get a cheap 3d pig from Academy.
                  Shoot in armpit.
                  Repeat.

Also I try to always end on a good shot. Maybe a few less reps and make the fewer shots good.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                    Whoa, bud! Take a few deep breaths! Consider taking one day off from shooting if you get panicky about the forthcoming hunt. Then only shoot 10-15 good shots a day from here till the hunt. Trust your training and visualize your shot before it ever happens. You'll do great!
                    This^^^^
                    Focuse on executing a few perfect shots (form) instead of a bunch of shooting. Follow thru is of upmost importance!

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
                      Well I can tell you this...every time I have a hunt coming up it seems like my shooting falls apart just a few days ahead of time. It's just nerves. Once I get in the woods I settle in and do fine. Don't overthink it. If it's the hunt that I think you're going on, I'd be more worried about where to hide a few Snickers bars and Vienna sausages!!
                      Yeah its "that one". I know it's just a hog hunt but I approach a shot on an animal the same no matter what animal it is. When I was stalking squirrels on my place down south I always wanted to ensure that the shot I took was an ethical shot, limited pain and suffering to the animal. I don't differentiate between a hog and a trophy buck (never shot at either but you get the idea) when it comes time to release. And yes I'm trying to figure out where to hide a few cans of Vienna's in my kit so I don't starve to death out there.

Thank you all for the advice. I'm sure I'll either flub the heck out of this or be stupidly surprised when I hit what I'm aiming at.

Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                        Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
                        This^^^^
                        Focuse on executing a few perfect shots (form) instead of a bunch of shooting. Follow thru is of upmost importance!
                        I have noticed that when my fletchings magically appear where I'm looking my bow arm is still held out in front of me, bow slightly canted and my string hand is resting on my right shoulder. Problem is I can't consciously repeat it. It just.... well it just kind of happens and "thock!" the arrow is where it should be. I can't force it to happen enough to know when I'm doing it right. Once out of every 5 or 6 shot is just happens.

Richard.

Comment

I'd rather starve than eat Vienna sausages. Just remember to pick a very definite spot. It can be tough on a black pig. Especially in low light.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                            I'd rather starve than eat Vienna sausages. Just remember to pick a very definite spot. It can be tough on a black pig. Especially in low light.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
                            And that's the heck of it. I've read here over and over again that I need to pick out a hair on the animal over the vitals and focus on that but my eyes aren't good enough anymore to pick out hairs at 10-15 yards. I've got a diagram that shows how to avoid the shoulder plate on a hog and where to aim but to be honest it's still a "focus on a black spot on a black animal with a black background". I just don't want to wound something and never recover it. I'd rather miss than hit wrong....

Richard.

Comment

You shooting a compound or stick bow?

Comment

Working...
                              X