No announcement yet.

Best area of Texas to find a lease with exotics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinda restating what others have said, but Kerrville, Junction, Roosevelt, Leaky, Rocksprings, etc. You get a little of everything in those areas.

Comment

As stated above, but anywhere in the Edwards Plateau

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter74 View Post
        Hunter said we should just put all that money into bow fishing with you.
        That is the BEST idea I have ever heard!!!

I made a phone call to a guy that has a place with a ton of axis on it. I get it I will let you know. Be nice to find a place big enough if it happens our whole group from Red River can go. You guys are a great group of guys.

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
          That is the BEST idea I have ever heard!!!

I made a phone call to a guy that has a place with a ton of axis on it. I get it I will let you know. Be nice to find a place big enough if it happens our whole group from Red River can go. You guys are a great group of guys.
          If the other guys do not want to. I have a group of 4-6 total that are looking. All older guys that are very management minded. Much like my dad and Albert.

Comment

Finding what you're looking for in the $3-4K per hunter price range is the hard part. If you can find one for that price, it will likely not allow you to shoot exotics without additional trophy fees. Add in the feed bill on top of the lease price, and you're getting way on up there. Lots of landowners require you to feed protein all year.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
              Finding what you're looking for in the $3-4K per hunter price range is the hard part. If you can find one for that price, it will likely not allow you to shoot exotics without additional trophy fees. Add in the feed bill on top of the lease price, and you're getting way on up there. Lots of landowners require you to feed protein all year.
              I am okay with the feed bill. I was thinking base cost 3-4. Not sure I like exotics enough to pay much more for the base. I am going to run protein and corn year round pretty much anywhere I go.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                OP if you find a place and need a member let me know please. I'd love a lease I can hunt exotics on.
                I was thinking of asking the same thing.

Comment

You just let me know how much that spot is on your lease and we can sing around the campfire together next season, should have done it this year but I am an idiot I know .

But yes it is hard to find for sure. I looked most the year this last offseason and though I found a few most had lots of rules and stipulations and just not what we were after. I do have a lead on one with another TBHer that I am really hoping comes to light. If I do it will require the whole group.

Comment

Most leases in the Junction/Telegraph area I have been are were around $2500 per gun and usually included 1 axis buck and 2 does. there were always 1 or 2 exotics off limits because the landowner liked them, but everything else was fair game.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter74 View Post
                      lol
                      For the record, you asked about areas..
                      I meant the area around Highway 41, is loaded with exotic ranches..

Not the actual highway 41!

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                        Most leases in the Junction/Telegraph area I have been are were around $2500 per gun and usually included 1 axis buck and 2 does. there were always 1 or 2 exotics off limits because the landowner liked them, but everything else was fair game.
                        The one I'm on in that area now was originally priced at $4K with 1 axis buck. I looked at a BUNCH of leases in the Junction/Sonora area last year, and most of them cost more than that. We negotiated a deal with the landowner to put fewer hunters on the lease and pay $5K each to get 2 axis bucks each. Of course, that made the feed bill higher for each of us too.

Comment

The one I'm on in that area now was originally priced at $4K with 1 axis buck. I looked at a BUNCH of leases in the Junction/Sonora area last year, and most of them cost more than that. We negotiated a deal with the landowner to put fewer hunters on the lease and pay $5K each to get 2 axis bucks each. Of course, that made the feed bill higher for each of us too.
                          the places I looked at were through friends whose family had been leasing the places for over 20 years. That may be why they are much less. Long time landowner/hunter relationships go a long ways. Heck all you need is about 30-40 acres in that area to kill exotics.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                            the places I looked at were through friends whose family had been leasing the places for over 20 years. That may be why they are much less. Long time landowner/hunter relationships go a long ways. Heck all you need is about 30-40 acres in that area to kill exotics.
                            Yep. I'm sure there are some friend deals here and there, if you have the right connections. Getting harder and harder to come by.

Comment

Most (wild) exotics in the state are from animals escaping the YO ranch, so naturally the Kerrville/Junction area is your best bet. My father is on a lease near Junction that has Axis, blackbuck, and the occasional aoudad/sika. Hope you find one!

Comment

Working...
                              X