parents supporting grown kids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
    I'd do anything for my kids as long as they're doing for themselves. But...I didn't raise my kids to want to be taken care of by their parents forever. I raised them to want to go out and make something of themselves. I can guarantee you that if you traced back the lives of these deadbeat "kids" you'd find some parents that were enabling them long before they became adults.
    I agree with you. Some parents “love” their kids too much to the point of hurting them. I believe we start the process when the child is very young.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
      I was having a visit with 92 year grandmother. I try to visit and have a whiskey with her once a month.
      You're a good grandson and definitely win the award for best grandmother!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        There is a severe lack of pride, particularly among males of the species these days.
        No doubt. I'd be ashamed to act the way that I know some guys act. No sense of self-pride at all.

Comment

There is a severe lack of pride, particularly among males of the species these days.
          or ambitions

Comment

Truer words were never written. Sans a SEVERE physical or mental disability, there is no explanation for camping out with the parental (unless you are doing so because THEY need help). Pitiful.

My wife extended a job offer to a millennial college grad a couple months ago. She then received a call from the woman's/girl's father and he wanted to negotiate salary/terms of employment. Haaaaa. This is apparently not uncommon these days. The offer was subsequently rescinded.

Comment

Originally posted by dale moser View Post
              there is a severe lack of pride, particularly among males of the species these days.
              bingo!

Comment

For me personally, I'd have to be in dire straights to live with my parents. I like my space too much.

I can understand parents helping out their grown kids if they get into a tight spot temporarily, but if they never leave, then after a while you have to blame the parents for enabling them, even though they are just trying to help.

Maybe today's society is just reverting back to communal living lol.

Comment

Their education should start early, mine started the first time they said "mine", from that day on they knew they had no "mine", everything they had was mine they could get some " mine" when they could make money to go get their own "mine"!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                    I woke up one morning and my parents left me

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
                    happened to you too?

My parents retired and sold the house to my brother.

Comment

When I graduated college I moved home on a Friday. My dad said "Enjoy the weekend, I expect you to be out by Monday". He was half way kidding but the last thing I wanted to do after living on my own for 4 years was move back in with my parents.

I know my parents had my back if I truly needed it but they were done with the handouts. I was glad to be on my own. It will be the same for my kids hopefully.

Comment

When my sons were young, I told them I was teaching them things to leave home, not stay home. All 3 have left home, went to college, trade schools, military and are being good citizens. I do have one that Im not happy with, but, I keep praying for him.

Oldest, kicked out at 18, ex military, college student, tech school grad, married, working.
                        Middle son left at 18, college grad, Masters in music, teaches Elem School kids music.
                        Youngest son left at 18, ex college student, Marine Corp, married, 1st baby on the way.
                        Only daughter 11yrs old, home schooled, very intelligent. Bright future.

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                          At the Grand Canyon???
                          No crap my mom's arm was underneath me when I woke up,it looked chewed off. [emoji16]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

It was just me and two brothers at home. We all left when we graduated high school. None of us live where we grew up still to this day. Dad has passed but he always said he was proud of the way we made our way in the world and didn't need him to do it.

My uncle now.....my grandparents had to give him the house and move out and buy another.

Comment

One girl I work with that's about 25 still has an allowance. She doesn't call it that but that's pretty much what it is. She don't live with her mom but she wires her money every week and she expects her to. If I ever told either one of my parents to wire me money I'd get slapped in the mouth.

My parents couldn't afford it anyway but they wouldn't do it even if they could. If I ever run out of money I'm up a creek without a paddle. That's just gonna be the way it is.
                              Last edited by okrattler; 04-26-2019, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                                the last thing I wanted to do after living on my own for 4 years was move back in with my parents.
                                NO KIDDING! Do these people spend so much time doing nothing that they never learn how to have fun? The kind of fun you can't have at your folks place? I don't get it. The ages of 19-30 are too **** much fun to have your parents watching you..

Comment

Working...
                                X