Devil's River WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Devil's River WMA

My group was drawn for the Devils River WMA public hunt for exotics. This is out around Del Rio. Has anyone hunted this area before? It is a smoke pole hunt with no baiting. I was wondering what conditions to expect, and what compartment to request if I get an option. How about cleaning area's. Do you have to take your animals to a specific location for cleaning or clean them in the field?

ttt

Comment

Haven't been in about 10 years, but back then they had lots of Aoudads and a nice place to skin out your critters, even had running water at the skinning area. good luck

Comment

We'll be going in January. I've heard rough conditions with a lot of hiking.

Comment

Headed out 3:30am tomorrow to be there for the 11am check in. Long drive. I hope it is worth it. Can't be worse than being at work.

Comment

Used to have a lease that bordered it to the north, Lots of javelinas, Auodad, decent deer.... I spent a weekend alone on the ridges and glassed several nice bucks, similiar to hunting muleys farther west and south, good luck and be safe!

Comment

Well would like to hear what you think of the place when you get back. Will be going there later on also and was wondering what the bunk house and conditions are like. Good Luck and leave some animals for us to hunt!!!!

Comment

Was wanting to get this thread back on top since we leave to Devil's River today. Anybody have any useful information on it?????

Comment

Tough hunting. If you are muzzle loader hunting Its going to be tough VERY tough. Park your truck and walk go up the ridges spend all of your time glassing. Look for your aoudad on the southwest side of the hills laying on ledges in the sun. If possible approach them from above for a shot. You are NOT going to stalk w/in 100 yards out there from below. I dont remembe the compartment numbers but the one the call high fence was the one we were in. The two the border high fence are good. The one w/ the windmill ( on the right heading into headquarters, I saw some dandy rams at the water there)and the river all really good. All of the Park is really good just depends how hard you want to hunt. There will be guys there that dont want to hunt they want to shoot and will drive around and scare everything into the areas where its quite. Best of luck to you and keep us posted on how yall do.

This is the ram in my avatar he came from the pasture thats called "high fence". Its not high fenced by any means, there is some high fence but its all tore up bad and all gates are open, they seem to like that pasture though.

Here is our 2 day bounty. 3 hunters

back row of aoudad rams measured green are as follows LtoR.
                  32",25",27",36"

Comment

Let us know how the hunt goes Big Smith.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X