No announcement yet.

Whats your Opinion on Kimber Long Guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accuracy can be hit or miss on the newer ones. I have had a longmaster classic 308 that was a hammer and a longmaster varmint 22-250 that was a hammer. but neither would handle much pressure. Slow barrels. Actions are pretty small and weak as well. They make some gorgeous hunting rifles that should shoot MOA at least but a lot don't. The triggers were both very nice in those two. I bought an 84m off a guy on here and it showed up in much worse condition than I was told ( he took a sharpie to dings on the barrel and then said he was too blind to see any scratches. But said he bough tit new so he did it....) Very possible it wasn't cared for but that thing never did shoot worth a ****.

There are several other options as good or better out there. You can find a used cooper for what some of the kimbers cost new and they are 10x the rifle.

Comment

Pretty guns but so is a Weatherby. Neither are cream of the crop when it comes to accuracy. JMO

Comment

I have one in 22-250 and it likes the hornady and Barnes 50 grains. It'll shoot a snuff can lid sized group at 300 yards on a calm morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've shot two hogs out past 400 too

Comment

Friend of mine with a gunshop quit selling them years because 3 or 4 of every 10 he sold wouldn't hold a 4" group. Guys buying thousand dollar rifles expect much better. Hill Country Rifles won't take them for their accurizing service if that says anything.

LWD

Comment

I've never shot one. But, I've handled a few. They look and feel really nice. That has lead me to read reviews. I have read enough reviews (much like this thread) that indicate a good chance of getting a pretty inconsistent rifle. This has scared me away. For the price tag on those things, there are quite a few rifles out there that consistently gain positive reviews. The Kimbers reviews are all over the board.

Comment

I must have got one of the good ones!

Comment

Won a 270 WSM and have had great success. It will shoot a jagged hole at 100 yards if I do my part. Good success on WT and a number of hogs on its first trip out to the ranch. For a $100 worth of raffle tickets and a half price Leopold scope, I would say I am pretty happy.

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                    I like the sound of this... I'm really tempted to get one just in case I get drawn for nilgai

Where are you finding the 165 gr? Closest thing I can find is the double tap with a Barnes in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    I'm sorry, I misspoke. I have 185 & 200 grain rounds in my safe.

I do have some 165 grain Barnes TTSX to reload but have not gotten around to working those up yet. I spend too much time shooting my .243 or one of my .270s to mess with it for now.

I am over south of Beaumont if you want to come see it in person sometime. We could meet at a range and you can squeeze off a few. Always like trying things before buying and that is something difficult in gun purchases usually. PM me if you are interested in meeting up.

T

Comment

Originally posted by timoub007 View Post
                      I'm sorry, I misspoke. I have 185 & 200 grain rounds in my safe.

I do have some 165 grain Barnes TTSX to reload but have not gotten around to working those up yet. I spend too much time shooting my .243 or one of my .270s to mess with it for now.

I am over south of Beaumont if you want to come see it in person sometime. We could meet at a range and you can squeeze off a few. Always like trying things before buying and that is something difficult in gun purchases usually. PM me if you are interested in meeting up.

T

Thanks for the offer, will be in touch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Whats your Opinion on Kimber Long Guns

I have this exact setup in 280 AI and it shoots good with right ammo. It is by far the lightest setup I have and shoots around an inch. A better shooter with hand loads could get sub moa at 100 yards. The one knock I have is the bolt is a little sticky but I baby everything and if you work the bolt quickly for a follow up shot it's fine.

Disclaimer:

Nothing I own compares to the Sako bolt from a factory rifle.
                        Last edited by Black Ice; 07-17-2017, 10:25 PM.

Comment

I don't have a lot of experience with them, but they have always caught my eye. I have a 84m longmaster classic in 308 and it will consistently shoot 3/4" 5 shot groups with 165 gr gamekings. I've been very pleased with it, 2015 model.

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
                            Friend of mine with a gunshop quit selling them years because 3 or 4 of every 10 he sold wouldn't hold a 4" group. Guys buying thousand dollar rifles expect much better. Hill Country Rifles won't take them for their accurizing service if that says anything.

LWD

If I were looking at a Kimber rifle, ^^THIS^^ post is what would have me switching gears and looking at other manufacturers. The fact that you don't see accurizing service from HCR (or other gunsmiths) is a deal-breaker for me - it's just too worrisome. They will even accurize Howa but not a Kimber? Something wrong with that picture.

I guess you could take the chance and then deal with Kimber on their Sub MOA guarantee. I wonder how that process works; but I suspect they have plenty of 'outs' on that guarantee that benefit them and not the purchaser.

Depending on what you're looking for, you might take a look at Christensen Arms, Savage & Tikka as alternatives

Comment

I've got a Longmaster classic .308 that shoots well. Been looking for one in .223 to match it. I've heard the horror stories but I've been pleased with mine.

Comment

My Kimber 8400 shoots great. Never any accuracy problems from it with various ammo.

Comment

Working...
                                X