No announcement yet.

Decent monthly income.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to imagine that if you follow the correct paths you can live very comfortably wherever you want if you and your wife are both working in your respective fields.

Comment

Originally posted by refugioco View Post
      If you are able to perform the job, I would guess a 4000 a month as a salary. I am sure others will chime in, but that is my guess. Good luck!
      Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
      I’d say the bottom of the threshold would be $4000/month and $6000/month for the household being a safer bet in the greater Houston area
      Are y’all talking gross or net?

Comment

Do you have your PE? I am assuming so since you own an engineering firm.

If so, I would anticipate you could make 100k+ if you went to work for a engineering consulting firm given your background.

That equates to 8k+ a month. You could find a nice home in good schools, and still love somewhat comfortably on that income. Plenty of nice areas with houses between 150-275k in Houston near good schools.

Good luck!

Comment

I am not saying this to be mean, but wouldn't your sister be able answer this question?

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
            Might help if you defined comfortable.
            In general We Do live in a middle class neighborhood, we are capable to pay for a private schools, private medical care and dont have a debt for cars or house.
            (I know in the US financially is better to have a loan in a car or a house)

We are able to save great part of our income because we try to live without unnecessary expenses.
            Last edited by AHF; 08-16-2018, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HighCountry View Post
              I am not saying this to be mean, but wouldn't your sister be able answer this question?
              Dont worry, she already answer this to me but Im just trying to get more opinions about this.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by texas shag View Post
                Do you have your PE? I am assuming so since you own an engineering firm.

If so, I would anticipate you could make 100k+ if you went to work for a engineering consulting firm given your background.

That equates to 8k+ a month. You could find a nice home in good schools, and still love somewhat comfortably on that income. Plenty of nice areas with houses between 150-275k in Houston near good schools.

Good luck!

Sorry for my ignorance but what is a PE?

I do have a profesional Tittle (that is how we called it in Mexico) a degree given by a university recognized by the Mexican Goverment and some certifications about electrical engineery, one of that certifications is given by The Association of energy engineers located in Atlanta Ga (Certified Power Quality)

Comment

Originally posted by StrayDog View Post
                  New hire EE’s fresh out of college can pull $65,000 year or better. First thing I would do if I were you is work on getting your Texas Engineering liscense - you can do this before starting any legal process to move to the US. If you have a PE behind your name it will increase your odds of getting a good job.
                  Excellent advise Sr...

Thanks a lot

Comment

In the US an engineer is licensed in each state. Not all jobs require a license but there are laws that, in certain situations, only licensed engineers can “stamp” or approve documents.

To become licensed you have to meet certain education and experience requirements, pass some exams, and complete an application process.

Here’s the website for the Texas Board of Professional Engineers which gives info on licensing in Texas. https://engineers.texas.gov

Comment

Originally posted by AHF View Post
                      Sorry for my ignorance but what is a PE?

I do have a profesional Tittle (that is how we called it in Mexico) a degree given by a university recognized by the Mexican Goverment and some certifications about electrical engineery, one of that certifications is given by The Association of energy engineers located in Atlanta Ga (Certified Power Quality)
                      Engineering License, Professional Engineer specifically I'm believing is what he meant.

I'm not sure how that would carry over from Mexico to the States but it could hold some benefit, or at least jump start you on the path to it here.

In regards to the area you mentioned, specifically Katy, check out surrounding areas such as Fulshear and Hockley. You can find some more rural-ish stuff for the time being that might not come with the sticker shock of some of the more highly developed locations.

Comment

PE = Professional Engineer. To aquire this you need to be degreed by an acredited university. You need to take your Engineer in Training (EIT used to be called FE for Fundamentals of Engineering) exam first. Then you are required to work under a licensed PE for 5 years before you are allowed to take the PE exam. Or that was the process several years ago. I worked mainly in electronics and many employers didn't want a PE so I never pursued it.

I am an EE but I currently work as a general engineer, not electrical. I started out in Pennsylvania at $57k right out of college in 2013; I went back as an adult. I am not going to share my current salary, but know it is higher than I started and what was mentioned in other posts in this thread.

Good luck!
                        Last edited by stickbowcoop; 08-16-2018, 08:48 PM.

Comment

When I used to make $60k, I brought home 4k a month and my wife brought home $2500. We lived pretty comfortably. I think 7-8k bring home is pretty comfortable for most families. I know other couples that bring home 15k a month and they’re comfortable too. Like mentioned earlier, it’s all about how you like to live.

Comment

I have developed my professional career as an electrical contractor working for industry, banking, commerce and a television station here in Mexico, always backed by the degree of engineering obtained from a Mexican university.

If I ever moved to Texas I would look to work in that same line, I understand that for that I would only need a contractor's license granted by the State of Texas, is that correct?

Comment

Sounds like you have a sweet setup in Mexico, why leave? After moving family, getting proper training, etc, don’t see this as a plus for you.

Comment

Decent monthly income.

Originally posted by BowOnly81 View Post
                                When I used to make $60k, I brought home 4k a month and my wife brought home $2500. We lived pretty comfortably. I think 7-8k bring home is pretty comfortable for most families. I know other couples that bring home 15k a month and they’re comfortable too. Like mentioned earlier, it’s all about how you like to live.

I never felt comfortable when my wife and I both made around 65k without kids 12 to 13 years ago. I was 25 at the time and probably spent too much money on stupid things and never had more than 5k in savings. One AC unit going out meant using a credit card to make repairs. Comfort level can mean different things to different folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Last edited by Black Ice; 08-16-2018, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X