No announcement yet.

sabine national forest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in the tree with my doe permit. It's wet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

I got to see first hand why some guys don't hunt The Moore opening weekend for gun! The traffic was terrible. I could people talking. I had a guy so close to me after he shot, I could hear him eject his shells!

Comment

Yep it was busy out there this weekend. Love how they are trying to cut down what seems to be the entire forest!

Comment

Sabine Turkeys

I plan on getting out there to chase turkeys in a couple of weeks. Been hunting the same spot on the Sabine the past 5 or 6 years and have taken a few birds over the last few seasons.

Never hunted them on the Moore, but have a couple of new guys I'm trying to help get on some birds so I may check out a few spots I used to see turkey sign when I used to deer hunt there years ago.

I've taken a couple of guys to were I hunt to help put them on their first birds, but I hope to spread out some and pick up some other productive areas so when we're all planning on going up around the same time, everyone is not looking to hunt my honey hole...lol. Or at least if someone else is hunting there, we will know of several other productive areas besides the couple that I know usually hold birds.

Anyway, does anyone else plan on being out there in the next couple of weeks? I ran into a lot of guys out there who had harvested birds on parts of the moore a couple of years ago, and last year a lot of locals told me of a few spots they frequently seen turkeys.

I think it's going to be a great year out there as there have been a couple of decent hatches within the past couple of years, and I'm looking forward to it...

Comment

I'm looking to archery hunt on public land at Moore. Will be both first time with a bow and on public land. I am not looking for honey holes. Wouldn't mind some advance though if y'all could offer any. Really trying to stay away from the biggest crowds and place to camp suggestions.

Comment

1.) Hunt more than 500 yds off of hunt roads to avoid being walked in on.
                2.) Stay in your stand all day (alot of hunters leave about 930-10 and the activity will push deer to you.
                3.) I recommend a good tree climbing stand if you are hunting the Moore gives you better sight and helps get your scent off the ground.
                4.) Scout Scout Scout!!!! Its Important to success on public land!
                5.) google earth is your friend, use it to find prospect areas to scout.
                6.) There is private hunting clubs in moore plantation that allow feeding, so use this info to your advantage by locating boundaries and setting up ambush stands between feeding and bedding areas.
                7.) Remember to enjoy the hunt (dont look at it as work). After all that is why we hunt

Comment

Thank you.

I just picked up climbing stand today. Got a great price on a decent one brand new. Only thing I do not have yet is a hand held gps. I know I don't need it, more or less helps my mind feel at ease in places I don't know well.

Need to get out there and scout areas for places.

Comment

Originally posted by Rickybobby8 View Post
                    Thank you.

I just picked up climbing stand today. Got a great price on a decent one brand new. Only thing I do not have yet is a hand held gps. I know I don't need it, more or less helps my mind feel at ease in places I don't know well.

Need to get out there and scout areas for places.
                    Go to the app store and buy gaia gps app. You won't regret it. You can even load the map before you head into the woods and if you don't cancel out the app it will track without service. Pretty cool app. It's not exact, but it'll get you within 50 yards

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

dont need a GPS. If you have a smart phone save the section of the map that moore plantation is on from google earth to your phone. The GPS on your phone should work without signal. I spent money on a GPS and find that I don't use it much. Nothing beats boots on the ground and clip on trail markers are your best friend. Get the flourescent orange reflective ones from walmart and you can see them clearly at night with a dim flashlight. I find I usually need about 60 of them on hand to get where I need to be and back out again. Once again they are great for finding your "tree" before the sun comes up plus they'll put your mind at ease. There are so many roads through the Moore that a 45 minute walk in any direction will put you back on a public hunt road if it comes to that. Also if you have Verizon everything north of 2426 has cell signal and it's just spotty on the south side.

Comment

If your in the area the weekend of August 12th drop me a message and I'd be more than glad to show you around. I remember when I first started hunting the moore 4 years ago and alot of good friends shared a lot of useful information with me. Don't expect honey holes but I can help you get acquainted with the area and point you in the right direction as to what to look for in terms of picking a couple of spots to setup. You will need to pick a couple of locations as people on occasion are prone to "walk in" on you by accident (happens more during gun season, as the woods are relatively empty during october).

Comment

Anyone been scouting. Going up in the morning to see what I can see.

Comment

Anyone gotten their Moore plantation doe permits?

Comment

I was drawn for the Moore doe permit but have not yet received it in the mail.

Comment

They will be mailed out mid October my email said.

Comment

Working...
                                X