No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember that four year old.. there was another buck that looked a lot like him. Its great that you know your deer so well. i would have called that deer considerably older.. Like most folks on the GS... i suck at aging other folks deer from pics. Hes a monster now.. No telling what kind of jump he will make..

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
      I remember that four year old.. there was another buck that looked a lot like him. Its great that you know your deer so well. i would have called that deer considerably older.. Like most folks on the GS... i suck at aging other folks deer from pics. Hes a monster now.. No telling what kind of jump he will make..
      Yes he has bulled up looking mighty buff. But we have put all the pieces together and now feel confident he's 4.The one with the kickers had us fooled also. Summer pics made him look young. Then my nephew who knows deer really well saw the pics and knew he saw him after the season 2 yrs ago and was at least 4 then. Its challenging when you rarely see them on the hoof and have to go primarily by pics. Body size on these bucks can be very deceptive as 4 yr olds get really big.

Comment

Wow, awesome thread... This made for a great read this morning! Congrats on all the success and thanks for sharing in such detail.

Comment

Keep at it Rusty and keep posting when you can.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
            Promising 4 yr old
            Man what you call promising, most folks call trophies

Comment

118 acres planted. Now we just need a little rain.

Comment

WOW!! you are living the dream

We need rain also

Comment

118 acres planted. Now we just need a little rain.
                  We got a big rain over in Jonesville on Monday. Water standing in the fields west of town but missed it on our plots in Harrisonburg. To be as wet as July and August was it sure dried up to a powder puff!! Good luck Rusty!

Comment

Originally posted by Jtrisler View Post
                    We got a big rain over in Jonesville on Monday. Water standing in the fields west of town but missed it on our plots in Harrisonburg. To be as wet as July and August was it sure dried up to a powder puff!! Good luck Rusty!
                    You know any of the farmers in the Delta?

Comment

This one might get a pass for one more year though looking pretty good. Either 5 or 6.
                      Attached Files

Comment

You know any of the farmers in the Delta?
                        Yes sir. I know a good many. I grew up just past the La Delta Headquarters toward Larto.

Comment

Originally posted by Jtrisler View Post
                          Yes sir. I know a good many. I grew up just past the La Delta Headquarters toward Larto.
                          I'm sure we know some of the same crowd. I'm in Pineville and have been around the Delta for many years.

Comment

I'm sure we know some of the same crowd. I'm in Pineville and have been around the Delta for many years.
                            I'm sure we do. Laid a lot of boot prints on that place as a kid. Worked at the La Delta airport in the summers while in college. My Dad was the superintendent for the Levee Board so we were on the diversion canal levee an awful lot!

Great thing you have going there with some stud bucks. Good luck and I hope you get a rain soon!

Comment

PLanted elbon rye into standing beans about three weeks ago. It hadn't rained for several weeks before I planted and hasn't rained since. I think rye will grow on concrete. You can also see a few beans sprouting. Standing beans for the winter. Newly sprouted beans till frost . Small grains good till spring. Table never cleared. Very happy with this strategy.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I like that method also! So you never disk correct? Just drill into existing plots? Ever have any weed issues?

Comment

Working...
                                X