Water Troughs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Troughs

Question: Will turkeys drink out of something like this or is it too tall?? It is 2 ft. W x 2 ft. H x 4 ft. L.
    Do I need to put a piece of cage wire - or something similar - across one end to make a perch? Would that even help? TIA

Click image for larger version

Name:	trough.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	25153294

They’ll land on the edge and drink no problem. Put a log or something in it for unfortunate small critters that may fall in and drown.

Comment

Originally posted by Texantax View Post
      They’ll land on the edge and drink no problem. Put a log or something in it for unfortunate small critters that may fall in and drown.
      This^^

Comment

Young poults may have trouble, but adults won’t have any problems.

Comment

I dug a hole and buried my water trough and left about 4" or so above ground. I cut a piece of cattle panel and put over it to keep hogs out. Quail, turkeys, deer and just about everything uses it.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
            I dug a hole and buried my water trough and left about 4" or so above ground. I cut a piece of cattle panel and put over it to keep hogs out. Quail, turkeys, deer and just about everything uses it.
            That is definitely something we considered but not something I can get around to doing right now. Looking for ideas for short term solutions.

I'm going to clamp a piece of 1 x 2" mesh wire on one end and have it dipping down into the water a bit. That should help any varmints or turkey poults that fall in and give birds something to perch on.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	TC1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	300.4 KB
ID:	24547390

I replaced the old trough with a larger and non leaking one but didn't realize how much taller it was until I got it out there.

Comment

Our trough by the cabin is kinda high and has a grate over the float. I took 2 pieces of cut off t pole and wired them to the grate with the ends resting on the side of the trough. The birds use them to get a drink or splash water on themselves. During the heat of the day it is non stop visitors. Also helps anything that might fall in.

Comment

Don't put a perch on top they can stand on the side. If you put the perch you will get a lot of turkey poo in the water.

Comment

I piled up dirt and rocks on one side. With cinder blocks inside for anybody that falls in. And have water line that keeps it full. No pigs
                    My other system is a cheap gravity dog bowl that I hook up to a water container.
                    I have a fence around this one.

Comment

I buried mine up to about 10 inches sticking out of the ground. I wanted fawns and other animals to be able to reach it too.

Comment

I have 3 just like that and they drink out of mine.

Comment

I filled my first trough for the deer today. I am going to fill a couple of smaller ones tomorrow. Prays for rain for most of Texas������

Comment

Water Troughs

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                            Question: Will turkeys drink out of something like this or is it too tall?? It is 2 ft. W x 2 ft. H x 4 ft. L.

Do I need to put a piece of cage wire - or something similar - across one end to make a perch? Would that even help? TIA

[ATTACH]917765[/ATTACH]

They don't mind drinking out of ours like that.

Last edited by Stolle; 08-06-2018, 04:47 PM.

Comment

I am going to set one up down at the well head this weekend

Comment

Working...
                              X