38 acre land management advice/help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robert13t View Post
    Any suggestions on plots? I was going to do clover in the front 1.5 acres for low maintenance. On the south end I have a decent field about 2-3 acres that I may do the orchard in but a food plot would be easier I am sure. I know that I won't make the time to manage multiple plots so one large plot would be simple. The main goal is good stewardship of the land with hunting as an added bonus.

I have calculated that hinge cutting my sweet gums will be the easiest, quickest, and cheapest way to get food to the ground level. I am still working on clearing around the oaks so that natural native growth can happen too.
    If you are limited on time, a spray, throw and shred method of smaller food plot seeds may be your best bet. Most on here would suggest spraying with glyphosphate first, then waiting a week or two and throwing out your seed and shredding/mowing the thatch on top of it.

With it getting late in the season, you may be able to forgo the spraying and just shred/mow as low as you can after you broadcast your seed since the warm season grasses arent growing as much. I'm actually experimenting with that at my place in Henderson County this year in a coastal hay field. This was just a mix of winter peas, oats and wheat. I plan on hitting it with fertilize around Thanksgiving. You can see all of it starting to poke out after a couple of rains.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal View Post
      If you are limited on time, a spray, throw and shred method of smaller food plot seeds may be your best bet. Most on here would suggest spraying with glyphosphate first, then waiting a week or two and throwing out your seed and shredding/mowing the thatch on top of it.

With it getting late in the season, you may be able to forgo the spraying and just shred/mow as low as you can after you broadcast your seed since the warm season grasses arent growing as much. I'm actually experimenting with that at my place in Henderson County this year in a coastal hay field. This was just a mix of winter peas, oats and wheat. I plan on hitting it with fertilize around Thanksgiving. You can see all of it starting to poke out after a couple of rains.
      This works really well. I done the same thing and my plot grew real well with less labor

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
        This works really well. I done the same thing and my plot grew real well with less labor
        Yup. I know hitting it with gly would be more effective in the long run (the coastal will come back strong in the spring), but the hay is important to us too. Hoping if anything the winter stuff will give the deer some forage plus whatever is left in the spring can be shredded in for organic matter/soil building.

I have other locations that are just for plots on my place...just giving this a go this year to see how it works, and I'm happy so far.

Comment

I have a sprayer for round up or whatever the off brand is from tractor supply. I will have to check my feed store to see what kind of seed I can buy from them to start a plot. I have a young buck on camera. Hopefully he makes it through the next few years. East Texas is a tough place to live for a deer.

Comment

If you see this deer, let him walk
            Attached Files

Comment

I have been working on our house. It is looking pretty good for a one man show.
              Attached Files

Comment

Wow that house looks great. I would have never known it was a one man show. We need more pics.

Comment

It's looking good.

Comment

Very cool thread, I’m digging the progress.

Comment

Got the roof up. Rain tested an hour later
                      Attached Files

Comment

great thread robert. keep at it.

Comment

Nice work and steady progress.

Rwc

Comment

Great thread, I wish I could buy a piece of property like that!

Comment

Update?

Comment

I'll have to load pictures. The cabin is almost done. Came back from military and worked on it for a few months. I'm thinking of selling it now bc the military is more than likely going to move me in a year to Arkansas and we'd want to buy out there.

Comment

Working...
                                X