Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow weight/ broadhead tuning

Two questions.
    1. 28.25 inch arrow with 125 grain slick trick magnum broadhead. Total weight roughly 432 grains. I think my draw weight is 65. Arrow is a carbon axis 340 if that matters. Is this heavy enough for elk and other similar sized game or should I go heavier? I’ve never really paid attention to arrow weight before so curious what others think.

2. Field tips shoot high right from broadheads. Tried “broadhead tuning” by moving rest to the right but that made it worse. What could be the cause of this?
    Thanks

Have you tried walk back tuning?

Comment

I have not, i Will try it tomorrow. thanks

Comment

A lot of Elk have been taken with arrows with the mass weight you are shooting. If I was going to work something up specifically for Elk then I would try to slide in around the 500 grain mark. Sounds like you have a little tuning to sort out; however the arrow doesn't sound too bad without knowing the make/model of the bow and your draw length. keep us posted on what you find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning48 View Post
          Have you tried walk back tuning?
          It appears to be good out to 40 at least.
          I guess my question is is it always a tuneing issue of broadheads don’t shoot the same as field tips?

Comment

Arrow weight/ broadhead tuning

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post

I guess my question is is it always a tuneing issue of broadheads don’t shoot the same as field tips?

Have you spin tested your arrows to check for any wobble?

Are your broadheads grouping together?

Could it be just one arrow that is the issue?

Checked for vane clearance? A contact issue likely would be exaggerated with broadheads.

Have you tried moving rest the other way?

Comment

let me add.

even though people want to say foc doesn't matter it does. now I'm not saying this is the problem here. but sometimes we dont have enough drag for the head for the amount of foc for that set up.

now this could be an arrow at 6% or even 12% its all in the head design.

like I said this is basically just info. I'm betting yours is still tuning issue

Comment

Two questions.

1. 28.25 inch arrow with 125 grain slick trick magnum broadhead. Total weight roughly 432 grains. I think my draw weight is 65. Arrow is a carbon axis 340 if that matters. Is this heavy enough for elk and other similar sized game or should I go heavier? I’ve never really paid attention to arrow weight before so curious what others think.

2. Field tips shoot high right from broadheads. Tried “broadhead tuning” by moving rest to the right but that made it worse. What could be the cause of this?

Thanks

What bow do you have? Sounds like you need to yoke tune your bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How far high and right do they hit and at what distance? What bow? What’s your nock position like? Walk back tubing and/or yoke tuning aren’t likely to do anything for the high broadhead impact. I’d be more concerned about the high impact than the right impact but I wouldn’t want to tolerate either.

D

Comment

Thanks for the help guys! Gave paper tuning a shot and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Comment

Would adding an insert be worth it for large game? Or would it require getting diffrent arrows? Trying to get this bow setup where I can hunt anything from Deer to moose if I wanted to without having to change my setup.

Comment

Would adding an insert be worth it for large game? Or would it require getting diffrent arrows? Trying to get this bow setup where I can hunt anything from Deer to moose if I wanted to without having to change my setup.
                        If you add much point weight, you’re going to need a stiffer arrow spine IMO.

If you really want a moose setup, I’d be building something quite a bit heavier. It looks like your draw length probably isn’t very long and you’re drawing 65 lbs, extra weight would be ideal if you want to go after a moose. You can kill one with your current setup with good shot placement at a reasonable distance, but I wouldn’t consider this an ideal moose setup. I’d be choosing a heavy, stiff arrow and putting quite a bit of weight up front too. Keep in mind this is going to be a pretty darn slow setup, but it will have the punch you need.

An ideal moose arrow is probably not what I’d want to hunt whitetail with out of your setup. That extra punch is going to be wasted and you’re trading off a lot of speed that might be helpful.

You might pick something in the middle with a roughly 500 grain setup. You’ll need a new arrow for that IMO as your current shafts are probably a little weak for that much point weight. That’s probably what I’d do if I wanted one arrow for everything.

D

Comment

So getting up to 500 grains would require diffrent arrows? Moose won’t be in the picture for a long time but was hopeing for a one and done setup. So for a mostly whitetail but occasionally mule deer, elk and similar sized game you think 500 with stiffer arrows would be better? Shooting a quest AMP if that maters. Don’t remember draw length.

500 seems to be the general consensus.
                          Last edited by Etxnoodler; 07-13-2018, 07:50 PM.

Comment

500 is a great all around arrow weight, the key is building the arrow the right way. 500 with high FOC is a pretty attainable goal for most shooters and is more than enough arrow for ANY NA game with a good broadhead setup.

Comment

What is your draw length???

I’m trying to run some numbers for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X