Adding fat to deer protein...???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding fat to deer protein...???

About 10 years ago a local guy was a dealer for a deer protein that was 16% protein as well as 16% fat. It advertised the benefits of increasing the fat content for deer and overall health for both lactating does as well as antler development.
    Lost track of the feed and don't see that being used in any other feed, but is there any science behind this, and if so, is there a way to add fat ( another feed to mix in maybe) to protein feed as the feeder is being filled.

Not real serious about it, but just curious as to what yall think about the added fat percentage in relation to deer health and antler growth.

I know Antler Max makes a "High Energy" blend that is 30% fat, but also like $30 a bag! There's got to be something behind that, if it is selling at that price with that level of fat percentage and they are selling enough to keep it in production.

I don't know about the logic but it sounds good.

Cotton seed will pack on the fat as will roasted soybeans. The soybeans could be mixed into your free choice or corn slinger but are spendy.

You could add a cotton seed feeder to your feed pen and it's pretty cheap but only sold in bulk to my knowledge.

Comment

I am not sure what it is for deer, but keep in mind that in cattle feeds, too much fat will limit consumption. Also, you might have problems with rancidity. But cottonseed is a good example . The oil will greatly increase the energy content.

Comment

I am not a biologist but I do know deer can't handle a high fat diet because they have no gall bladder. 16% sounds pretty high to me.

Comment

The Antlermax high energy is 30% fat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

With that high of a fat content, it would be nearly impossible to keep the pellet from falling apart. I know that feeds with 5% or so fat content fall apart after they are pelletized. That much fat is a waste IMO.

Comment

High fat feeds are really only needed in the winter for post rut bucks. That's why cottonseed is so good to feed Jan-feb until the spring green up begins. Bucks fat stores are really down and the quick build up helps them. I believe cottonseed is in the 20ish% range. With that said you should also increase their fiber intake as well since browse is also low.
              This again is why cottonseed is good. Its really high in protein, fat and fiber which I believe is also near 20% maybe high teens.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                High fat feeds are really only needed in the winter for post rut bucks. That's why cottonseed is so good to feed Jan-feb until the spring green up begins. Bucks fat stores are really down and the quick build up helps them. I believe cottonseed is in the 20ish% range. With that said you should also increase their fiber intake as well since browse is also low.
                This again is why cottonseed is good. Its really high in protein, fat and fiber which I believe is also near 20% maybe high teens.
                All very good accurate info. I also try and keep out rice bran especially at this time of the year.

Comment

Yes can't forget the good ol rice bran, one of my favorites and very high in fat and protein.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                    Yes can't forget the good ol rice bran, one of my favorites and very high in fat and protein.
                    Never used that... Can it be mixed with protein pellets in a self feeder and still flow?

Comment

I found this break down on cotton seed, when I started feeding.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Black Gold View Post
                        Never used that... Can it be mixed with protein pellets in a self feeder and still flow?
                        You just pour it in a big pile on the ground or in a trough. I usually put out 25-50# piles. Rain doesn't effect it much unless it just floods for several days and even then the deer clean it up.

Comment

I see you're from shiner. Drive over to fehners in Gonzales and jimmy can mix you up a higher fat content in your protein.

Comment

The Antler Max 20% fat feed is meant to be an additive to existing feed to help bump it up, not fed by itself. Record Rack has a standard of 4% fat in their feed which in most cases is plenty. They do make a 6% fat feed that I fed some deer to get weight back on them and it did big time. After a few months I switched back to the regular 4% and they were all fine. Too much fat is a bad deal and along with other mentioned problems, it can cause scours pretty bad. Imagine if you at CiCi's Pizza all day every day what that would do to you....

Comment

Increasing fat intake post rut is advised to help them rebound and reboot. You can do this in several ways, including adding a high content supplement for a couple of months. Cool weather plants and grains are great for repairing their bodies. Once spring rains hit, warm-up begins then it becomes less necessary for high contents of fat. Supplemental feeding from Spring through summer months should be concentrated in a balanced pelleted feed around 18%. It can be mixed with corn 50/50 and you can also add soybeans mixed in with your corn and pelleted feed at a third, third and third breakdown. You will find on most ranches that receive average to above average rainfall in the spring, feeder visitation by deer will be less frequent. If mother nature provides the groceries, they don't visit the convenience store as much.
                              Last edited by bulltx50; 03-15-2017, 07:04 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Working...
                              X