dehydrating cayenne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dehydrating cayenne

Got a bumper crop of cayenne peppers this year Thought I would dry some for the winter. Have done it before on a pan in the sun but, I guess, The humidity here got 'em & they got moldy before getting dry. I have an Excalibur 9-tray That I thought I'd try. Did not find anything on their web site about drying peppers. Have 3 trays full, set on 150 for 5 hrs. Hopin that's not too high nor too long. Anyone out there experienced?
    PS, whole peppers

I threw a bunch of my peppers in electric smoker last month, smoked for about 8 hours until they were dried out. Put them in spice grinder - turned out great, I put it on everything

Comment

I split mine longways and then dry at 135 for a day or so and lower temp and dry another day or two.
      Not cayenne but moruga scorpions and hot jalapenos.
      Doesn't take quite as long with the stems removed and split. I get mine really dry so humid days don't soften them and they mold. We are a much drier climate though than you are.

Comment

I had a bumper crop of habanero this year. I just split them in half and put on the dehydrator. Once dried all the way out I grind them up in a spice grinder and put in a shaker. Goes on whatever I want to make hot!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a bumper crop of habanero this year. I just split them in half and put on the dehydrator. Once dried all the way out I grind them up in a spice grinder and put in a shaker. Goes on whatever I want to make hot!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the replies! Checked on 'em this morning & not dry. Took some advice from here and cut stems off and cut in half. Back on the de hydrator. Got it set for 130/5 right now. One more question: dry or leathery? Will coarse chop.

Comment

I've done a few, the old fashioned way. String-em and hang-em.

Comment

Working...
              X