Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

~COAST PROS : Will this weekends weather shut down the fishing ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ace340cs View Post
    If you still have my ####, send me a text and we can get something plan to fish the Lower Laguna ,Mansfield and or Arroyo City.... Carlos S.
    hey ! long time no chat Carlos - your number still end in 6993 ?
    Would love to plan something for next month - we'll be in touch ! thanks man ! - c

Comment

Ughhh,... been watching the weather for corpus area and it continues to change. Not looking like the downpour predicted. still worried about the wind though.

If there a site you look at to see these predictions on coast winds ?

many thanks !
      c

Comment

Everything i am seeing is showing it mostly hitting tx coast. I've been trying to search online for info. Anybody think it will effect SWLA?

Have a trip planned for calcasieu the 20-22.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Well the forecast has changed to not looking too bad for Friday and Saturday, hope it stays that way or gets better. 20 mph wind is pretty normal down there. Will I be going to the wells with that wind no, but upper laguna will be fine. I'm sure it will change 20 more times between now and then though.

Comment

Going Friday after work then early in early out Saturday am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So for the guys that made it down to the coast this weekend,.. how was the fishing and conditions for ya after all ?

Comment

Fished Saturday and caught plenty of fish. Not any big fish but plenty for the grease

Comment

Fished Saturday and it was slow. Did not see a whole lot of bait and had to work to find clean water.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Hey can any of y'all teach me, or explain, or post a link on how to understand salinity levels? Like say it's 5ppm or something. What's a high level and what is almost fresh?

And what level do trout prefer to stay in?

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
                      Hey can any of y'all teach me, or explain, or post a link on how to understand salinity levels? Like say it's 5ppm or something. What's a high level and what is almost fresh?

And what level do trout prefer to stay in?

I really never looked into salinity levels for finding trout. I have caught trout both at the mouths of fresh water rivers where they dump into bays and hyper saline bays where very little fresh water comes into them. I just figure if their baitfish of choice(mullet in my opinion) is near the trout won't be far behind.

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
                        I really never looked into salinity levels for finding trout. I have caught trout both at the mouths of fresh water rivers where they dump into bays and hyper saline bays where very little fresh water comes into them. I just figure if their baitfish of choice(mullet in my opinion) is near the trout won't be far behind.
                        I've never put that much thought into it. But read so much about how they like consistent temp and salt levels. So trying to establish better patterns.

But looking for the birds and bait usually works also.

Comment

They will put up with really fresh water if there is food available for them. Sometimes a bunch of rain or big tides will flush shad, shrimp and other food out of the marsh for them and even if it's really fresh the trout will take advantage of the opportunity. I've fished many times when the bay water was so fresh you could drink it on top but there was enough salt underneath that the trout held tight and we caught fish fine. Same on river rises. I have seen it many times where it was rolling hard and muddy on a big river rise and the very first night the river dropped to normal and a little green water was pulled in from the gulf we had trout in the lights.

We aren't talking 15 or 20" of rain here. I don't think what we get out of this is going to have a major negative effect on the fish. It may move some fish around, may bump our tides back up but it isn't going to flush all the fish out of the bay or shut them down for very long, if at all. Matter of fact, it may kick off a few days of good feeds.

As far as salinity, the gulf is usually around 30-35 ppt. Bay water is usually between 20 and 30 ppt. Higher as you get closer to passes, lower as you get into the upper end of the bay. When we get big freshwater inflows it can go to 0 or real near 0 ppt. Trout need it to be at least 17 ppt or higher for spawning purposes. For survival purposes they will stay in much lower salinities if the food is there for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
                            They will put up with really fresh water if there is food available for them. Sometimes a bunch of rain or big tides will flush shad, shrimp and other food out of the marsh for them and even if it's really fresh the trout will take advantage of the opportunity. I've fished many times when the bay water was so fresh you could drink it on top but there was enough salt underneath that the trout held tight and we caught fish fine. Same on river rises. I have seen it many times where it was rolling hard and muddy on a big river rise and the very first night the river dropped to normal and a little green water was pulled in from the gulf we had trout in the lights.

We aren't talking 15 or 20" of rain here. I don't think what we get out of this is going to have a major negative effect on the fish. It may move some fish around, may bump our tides back up but it isn't going to flush all the fish out of the bay or shut them down for very long, if at all. Matter of fact, it may kick off a few days of good feeds.

As far as salinity, the gulf is usually around 30-35 ppt. Bay water is usually between 20 and 30 ppt. Higher as you get closer to passes, lower as you get into the upper end of the bay. When we get big freshwater inflows it can go to 0 or real near 0 ppt. Trout need it to be at least 17 ppt or higher for spawning purposes. For survival purposes they will stay in much lower salinities if the food is there for them.
                            Wow. Thanks a ton. That's exactly the info I was looking for!

I grew up fishing big lake, but my dad and grandpa were old school. They just went and caught fish! Haha.

I'm headed to Big Lake Thursday to get after them. Was trying to educate myself about this rain situation. Will post a live thread as usual!

Thanks again

Comment

So as of now looks like it hasn't changed much. Will keep checking just out of curiosity. This is about mid lake.

Comment

I fished Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. It was windy, never got rained on but couldn't find a trout to save my life. The redfish however, were everywhere. We limited out on reds every day except Saturday, and that's because I tried a new spot. Not really a fish I target but I'll take them when the trout bite is slow.
                                Last edited by panhandlehunter; 06-18-2018, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X