No announcement yet.

DIY---- Hog Light (Stabalizer Light)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok. i looked at the switch it is a spst switch. looks exactly like the one in blasts post. I got it from radio shack also. What could be wrong. Which wires go where?

Comment

Originally posted by stuntriderant View Post
      The switch has two prongs on one side and two prongs on the other. Which wires go where. I cant seem to get mine to work. I did everything as you instructed but it wont come on with the switch>
      will it come on when you touch the two wires together? make sure the override switch (the one already on the light) is on. if it works when you touch them, its the switch.

Comment

if it works when you touch them, then test out the different post on the switch before soldering, if it doesnt work when they touch, then something isnt right in the housing

Comment

I have touched them and it doesnt work. I ran one up to the metal and one onto the spring that next to it.

Comment

Originally posted by stuntriderant View Post
            I have touched them and it doesnt work. I ran one up to the metal and one onto the spring that next to it.
            i know it sounds stupid, but...
            make sure batteries are in correctly
            make sure battery housing is pushed all the way in.

also, my first one i built, i tried to use a cord much like blast used, very small wiring inside, and i couldnt get it to work. i went with a heavier cord/wire and it worked

also, you did solder the connections right?

Comment

ill pm you my number....ill be away from the comp for a little bit, call or text if ya need we can see if we can figure this out

Comment

I soldered one wire to the top of the ring and one onto the negative spring just left of the wire running to the top. The light will work with the push button but just not my switch. Maybe it is the small wiring? Not sure...

Comment

Alright guys! With the help of wes i got this done!!lol. A word of advice...... make sure the flashlight switch is on the off position or the light will not work with your switch. Very cool light and a fraction of the cost of buying one!! Thanks Wes....

Comment

wes, you are the man. this was a fun project this weekend. probably would have been more fun had known how to solder. but now with some slightly burnt fingertips and a big mess i got her done. thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by MOSSYOAK_NINJA View Post
                      wes, you are the man. this was a fun project this weekend. probably would have been more fun had known how to solder. but now with some slightly burnt fingertips and a big mess i got her done. thank you.
                      lol, no problem amigo....you learn pretty quick after a few burns, i still dont know how exactly but enough to get it done

Comment

I had not looked at this thread until now but I was going to say to try pushing the original button on the flashlight as I had the same problem my first go around. Also for anyone else with the same type of switch I used (with the (4) prongs) you can use a voltmeter that reads continuity to test it. Touch (2) prongs at a time until you find (2) that only show continuity with the button pushed down. Those are where you will want to make your connection.

Comment

Originally posted by Blast-n-cast View Post
                          I had not looked at this thread until now but I was going to say to try pushing the original button on the flashlight as I had the same problem my first go around. Also for anyone else with the same type of switch I used (with the (4) prongs) you can use a voltmeter that reads continuity to test it. Touch (2) prongs at a time until you find (2) that only show continuity with the button pushed down. Those are where you will want to make your connection.
                          thanks for the heads up, im making another tonight and going to use that switch. the switch i used, the light had to be in the on position.

Comment

Originally posted by Blast-n-cast View Post

I built one last night and I gotta tell you....I could weld a trailer easier and better than I can solder. I don't have enough hands. Couldn't hold the iron, solder, wire and flashlight parts all at the same time. I think I'm gonna re-do mine using the tact switch. I'm not happy with the switch that I used. I'm sure I am gonna have issues with the size of the tact switch, much smalller work space.

Comment

Originally posted by jared_bays View Post
                              I built one last night and I gotta tell you....I could weld a trailer easier and better than I can solder. I don't have enough hands. Couldn't hold the iron, solder, wire and flashlight parts all at the same time. I think I'm gonna re-do mine using the tact switch. I'm not happy with the switch that I used. I'm sure I am gonna have issues with the size of the tact switch, much smalller work space.
                              What I did was melt the solder directly on the end of my iron and allow it to puddle a little bit. I then just held the wire in place where I wanted to connect it and touched it with the iron with the solder already on it and then gently pulled away until it was covered good and made a good connection. It made it a little easier.

Comment

Im making one of these tonight so im sure ill be on here with some "what do I do now" questions...lol.....has anyone used it in the field yet?

Comment

Working...
                                X