Hand held gps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand held gps

How many of y'all use hand held gps and if you do what is a decent gps.. is it pretty much a necessity for scouting especially if not knowing what I'm doing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Just depends how deep into the woods u go. Depends how much experience you have on the property etc. I will admit, I've been lost one time after shooting a hog on public w my bow. I was smart enough to know when to say when and call 911. Depends on if your phone has cell service where u hunt too. If u shoot an animal and have to track it, you can loose your bearings fast. I carry one every time on public land

Comment

I use a Garmin rhino

Comment

Thanks for the info.. I'm thinking I should probably get one since I'm not quite sure what I'll be getti g my self Into. Plus wouldn't I be a me to mark down were i want to build natural blinds and stuff so I could get back there. I guess help with exploring?

Comment

Look into the OnX products. I use the app for my phone and it works very well. You can save maps to your phone for places where you don't get cell service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Army of Dad View Post
            Look into the OnX products. I use the app for my phone and it works very well. You can save maps to your phone for places where you don't get cell service.

Ok thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Cody2306 View Post
              Ok thanks

Oh, one more thing. Listen to a Randy Newberg podcast (or at least the first 5-10 minutes) and you'll get a discount code you can use at OnX's website.

Comment

I have a Garmin eTrex 10 and it normally is all I need. But, I look at a map of the area too before I go if I'm unfamiliar, and take a compass as well. I at least want to know which direction to go to get me to something I can find my way out from. Road, pipeline, highline, fencerow, something...in east Tx there are some places thick enough I've seen a GPS not be able to link to the satellites. But if you know you went in south off a road you should normally be able to go back north and at least hit the road again. And at least with a compass you won't circle.

Comment

i use the Magellan Explorist 110

Comment

Bass pro has the Garmin 64st on sale for 219$

Awesome GPS
                    You can put chips in it for bay, Texas, other states. Even download your tracks on your computer to a program called Basecamp that is basically google earth with your tracks and points overplayed on it.

Comment

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 64ST and Lowrance Ihunt (with Map Create topo).
                      I use the Lowrance 99% of the time just because of the hunting specific icons. The Garmin is nice too for the birdseye and instant direction(don't have to move to see what direction your headed)

Comment

Ok picked up the Garmin Oregon 600 seemed pretty legit and it was 400 on sale for 199. Plus last one so I figured I better grab it.. My question is do I need to down load a map for shnf or should it already have it.

Comment

OnX app, works well when u save the maps. Allows me to save stand and camera locations. Not ready to bite the bullet for a GPS and don’t know if I would get any additional features. Any comments about gps would be worthwhile to see what I’m missing.

Comment

Originally posted by FDPBrooks View Post
                            OnX app, works well when u save the maps. Allows me to save stand and camera locations. Not ready to bite the bullet for a GPS and don’t know if I would get any additional features. Any comments about gps would be worthwhile to see what I’m missing.
                            I'll let you know how it goes when I get the chance to get out there

Comment

I was looking into getting one also. I hunted public land couple days ago and i feared venturing away from main trail

Comment

Working...
                              X