Atascosa 2019!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lagunaduck View Post
    Got drawn but fighting a shoulder injury (rotator cuff). Don’t know how I’ll be that far out. Considering a crossbow. Are they allowed?
    Yes,they are allowed.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by piercebronkite View Post
      I think so. Any recommendations? I need to square that away asap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I booked a room at the Port Isla Inn.

Comment

I've still got half of a 2BR/2BA condo available in Laguna Vista for 11/14-11/19 looking to split costs so $275. Newly joined TBH but i've been a respectable lurker around here for awhile
        PM for details.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
          I think me and my 2 buddies ran into you, Huntindad. If so, you were on your second trip, shirtless and sweating up a storm! Congrats on the public land deer
          Don't think that was me...coulda been. My second trip was the meat to the cart. One trip to the truck. I was in unit 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
            Don't think that was me...coulda been. My second trip was the meat to the cart. One trip to the truck. I was in unit 1.
            Scratch that, you’re correct! Was a different area

Comment

For the guys that are hunting 11/15-11/19........how many days are y’all planning to hunt? I keep hearing that this a tough hunt and a lot of people give up.

Comment

Atascosa 2019!!!

Originally posted by jdunn6092 View Post
                For the guys that are hunting 11/15-11/19........how many days are y’all planning to hunt? I keep hearing that this a tough hunt and a lot of people give up.

Going the week before. All day, every day. My training for this hunt started months ago.

Comment

I hunt two weeks before and I plan on hunting everyday. Unless I kill something and I’ve no more cooler space!!!! Wishful planning with that thought lol

Comment

I hunted all day every day of the hunt last year. Eat a good breakfast and take lunch and water with you. I was in a pop up which was good with the light rain we had. However, I think it spooked the Nilgai I saw. The whitetail did not seem to care.

Comment

I hunted all day every day of the hunt last year. Eat a good breakfast and take lunch and water with you. I was in a pop up which was good with the light rain we had. However, I think it spooked the Nilgai I saw. The whitetail did not seem to care.

Did you see nilgai? If so how far?

Comment

I had a huge bull at 20 yards... problem was he stopped behind a big yucca plant in my blind spot as I drew back. I think he saw the pop up and froze. he went out in the field about 75 yards and looked at me for a few minutes and trotted off.

I saw a couple groups o cows....but they had seen me first. As I was glassing across I saw them looking at me.

I think the pop up is not conducive to Nilgai hunting. If I get drawn again, I'll sit in the brush or on a tripod.

the cows were about 75 yards or so.

Comment

I had a huge bull at 20 yards... problem was he stopped behind a big yucca plant in my blind spot as I drew back. I think he saw the pop up and froze. he went out in the field about 75 yards and looked at me for a few minutes and trotted off.

I saw a couple groups o cows....but they had seen me first. As I was glassing across I saw them looking at me.

I think the pop up is not conducive to Nilgai hunting. If I get drawn again, I'll sit in the brush or on a tripod.

the cows were about 75 yards or so.
                          I think we hunted the same week last year, I was in unit 1 as well. Mind if I pm about the hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                            The Federal Game Wardens out there are completely asinine jackazzes. At least the ones I've encountered. Present your permit, have parking slip in your truck. Discuss no more. Carry on about your trip. They are not going to be your friend. You have no obligation to speak to them past checking permits. They do not care about anything other than fulfilling their mere obligations to write citations even without solid factual evidence. Been there.

Oh, do not forget, they read this thread. Watch what you post on here...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                            they are power hungry wanna bees that prob got picked on in high school. i did not like them at all. treated everyone like they have never hunted b4...we hunted last yr. at laguna. glad i wasnt drawn. lol. saved me 500 bucks

Comment

Originally posted by Tomahawk54 View Post
                              For you guys that have hunted laguna a few times, what is your water strategy for being out in the feild all day? Last year i would take a 3 liter camelback with me every morming and 2 extra water bottles. Found myself really having to ration to make it through the whole day.
                              put 4 extra water bottle holders on ur mountain bike. and load down ur pack with as many as u can carry!!! i went last year and walked 20 Miles in 2 days watching hunters pass me on mountain bikes then went to the Brownsville pulga and bought a mountain bike for 50$. still have it! i would recommend mounting a gear rack on the back or maybe some kind of deer cart with arm that mounts to ur SEAT post
                              Last edited by NAVY CHIEF; 09-22-2019, 09:37 PM.

Comment

2 way radios work well at laguna as long as they arent the cheapos. and wear good hard soled shoes if u are gonna walk the hard Rocky caliche roads i wore rubber boots. killed my feet. then was hard to pedal after i bought a mountain bike.

Comment

Working...
                                X