shotgun recomendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beretta A350.

Don't waste your money on an A400. It's the exact same gun except for the stocks. My buddy that I primarily duck hunt with has two A400's, and I can tell you it's not worth the extra 600 bucks in my opinion.

I've shot almost all the Benelli's, and in my experience duck hunting, the Beretta's seem to function a lot better. The Bennelli's are lighter and feel better in hand compared to my Beretta. However, every single model I've hunted with jams a lot. I've hunted with the super sport, M2, the vinci, the SBE II, and the good ole Nova's. I know some people will debate me on this, but this has been my experience. I want to like them, but they're too picky for me, especially with cheap dove loads. My Beretta A350 will literally shoot any load. It cycles the 3 1/2 as good as the cheapest 2 3/4 dove loads. I've cleaned it once in 3 years.

I have another buddy who has a versa max, reliable, but I prefer that A350.

My 2 cents.
    Last edited by Arrowthreat; 05-09-2019, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
      Beretta A350.

Don't waste your money on an A400. It's the exact same gun except for the stocks. My buddy that I primarily duck hunt with has two A400's, and I can tell you it's not worth the extra 600 bucks in my opinion.

I've shot almost all the Benelli's, and in my experience duck hunting, the Beretta's seem to function a lot better. The Bennelli's are lighter and feel better in hand compared to my Beretta. However, every single model I've hunted with jams a lot. I've hunted with the super sport, M2, the vinci, the SBE II, and the good ole Nova's. I know some people will debate me on this, but this has been my experience. I want to like them, but they're too picky for me, especially with cheap dove loads. My Beretta A350 will literally shoot any load. It cycles the 3 1/2 as good as the cheapest 2 3/4 dove loads. I've cleaned it once in 3 years.

I have another buddy who has a versa max, reliable, but I prefer that A350.

My 2 cents.

Main differences are going to be the Aqua coating on outside and inside of gun that protects from water/rust, Kickoff system to lessen recoil and i think the A350 doesn't come with all the various chokes. That said, I've shot the A350 several times and they're great. BUT for list price of $999 for the A350, why not just spend an extra $300 or so and get the A400? That was my thought process.
      Last edited by Fmjag64; 05-09-2019, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
        And well within his budget
        my budget really isnt 1600.00 bucks. id like to keep it at 1000.00.

Comment

Originally posted by popo1984 View Post
          my budget really isnt 1600.00 bucks. Id like to keep it at 1000.00.
          a350

Comment

Originally posted by popo1984 View Post
            my budget really isnt 1600.00 bucks. id like to keep it at 1000.00.
            I just saw the $1200 part of your post. If you don't have to have new you can get a nice shotgun used for that or less

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
              If you want to save a little bit, take a look at the Franchi Affinity 3.5. They're made by Benelli in the same factory using Benelli's inertia driven system. I have thousands of rounds through mine without a single issue using 2 3/4" 1 oz loads to heavy waterfowl loads. It also fits me extremely well which is worth a lot in the world of shotguns.
              I agree with this. I love my affinity.

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
                Main differences are going to be the Aqua coating on outside and inside of gun that protects from water/rust, Kickoff system to lessen recoil and i think the A350 doesn't come with all the various chokes. That said, I've shot the A350 several times and they're great. BUT for list price of $999 for the A350, why not just spend an extra $300 or so and get the A400? That was my thought process.

That's true about the coating.. If you paid 1400 for a camo a400 I'd like to know where. I've never seen one under 1600. I got my a350 on a black friday deal. I think I paid 900. The a400 next to it was still 1600.
                Last edited by Arrowthreat; 05-09-2019, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Lot of good choices out there but I've had the best luck with Beretta. Hold their value well and it seems like most people hold on to theirs for a long time.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
                    If you want to save a little bit, take a look at the Franchi Affinity 3.5. They're made by Benelli in the same factory using Benelli's inertia driven system. I have thousands of rounds through mine without a single issue using 2 3/4" 1 oz loads to heavy waterfowl loads. It also fits me extremely well which is worth a lot in the world of shotguns.
                    1000%. I grab my franchi over my SBE 2 alot more often than I should. They really have a fine piece of machinery there.

Theres a high faluting custom shop-type edition coming out that I would be all over if I was in your shoes. https://www.franchiusa.com/affinity-elite-shotguns

I bet it'll hit the shelves at just over $1000.

Comment

Learn how to call and keep shooting your wingmaster.

Beretta 390/391/3901/A300/A350/A400
                      Winchester SX3/SX4

I like gas guns, but Benelli and Franchi make good inertia guns. Weatherby has a new auto out that is an inertia gun, I think.

I'd buy used.

Comment

Look at the Chiapas triple crowns. They make a camo one as well. Triple barrels and no plug worries. Haaa. I bought a couple as a novelty and actually really like them. In fact, I left the nice guns in the safe last dove season and shot one exclusively :-) The game warden got a kick out of it when we were checked. I told him I didn't have a plug but only loaded three. :-)

Comment

I'm partial to Beretta autos, I bought an A300 last year, which hunted hard has been as if not more reliable than my old Benelli M1. If you like the versamax, they make a sportsman model that is black, less fancy stock, not as many chokes, but the same internals, for $800. That or the A350 are both nice for under a grand.

If it comes down to cost, you don't "need" a 3.5 inch gun. If you or anyone else wants one, no judgement here, but if they are too high for 2 3/4" they are probably too high for 3.5". I wouldn't rule out a 3" like a v3, A300, etc if it feels good and the price is right. Handle as many as possible, find which one feels good, and go from there. Have fun with your purchase

Comment

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
                            If it comes down to cost, you don't "need" a 3.5 inch gun. If you or anyone else wants one, no judgement here, but if they are too high for 2 3/4" they are probably too high for 3.5".
                            Totally agree. I goose hunt with 3 inch #2's all season. No need for the longer shells.

Comment

I have owned a bunch of 3.5" guns and don't buy them anymore. There is no real benefit and I had more reliability problems with my 3.5" guns than I have with 3" guns. I've primarily shot Beretta, Benelli, Browning and Winchester shotguns. The 3" guns have been more dependable and less fickle. I don't think 3.5" shells are a real benefit anyway. You can bump yourself up to a nicer gun for the same money if you buy a 3".

Comment

A400 extreme is what I have. Hard to go wrong there.

Comment

Working...
                                X