What Happened To My Scope?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
    IDK why this site rotates photos! You can see where the scope slid down while in the safe then where it slid back when I tilted the gun looking at what the heck had gone wrong.[ATTACH]884976[/ATTACH]
    You sure as hell had them clamped down hard. Those are some serious ring marks.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
      You sure as hell had them clamped down hard. Those are some serious ring marks.
      It's not ring "marks". It's just the tan paint that came off. If it was black rings it wouldn't look like that & if it did then that'd be a serious over-tightening!

You can see how easily the tan paint comes off by looking @ the slides marks. If I tilt the gun, the scope slides by itself & leaves those marks.

Comment

Talley wants them back to do an assessment. I just checked & w/the torque wrench set on ~22 in/lbs. the screws tightened easily. The only thing I can fathom happened is the screws stretched???
        Weird deal & curious as to what Talley comes up with. They're shipping me a new set today w/a return label. Their CS appears to be top notch!

I lap ALL rings. I have used/installed many Talley rings and to say they don’t need lapping is laughable. I actually really like their product but find they perform much better after lapping. I understand not wanting to void a warranty but I’d rather have them set and not move than play the game you are, hoping they take care of you. Also blue loctite (non permanent) all of my screws.

Is that a factory coating? If not that is probably part of the problem and they should definitely be lapped if that coating is on the inside of the rings if nothing more than to remove that coating.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
          I lap ALL rings. I have used/installed many Talley rings and to say they don’t need lapping is laughable. I actually really like their product but find they perform much better after lapping. I understand not wanting to void a warranty but I’d rather have them set and not move than play the game you are, hoping they take care of you. Also blue loctite (non permanent) all of my screws.

Is that a factory coating? If not that is probably part of the problem and they should definitely be lapped if that coating is on the inside of the rings if nothing more than to remove that coating.

Sierracharlie out…
          It is a factory coating from Talley. I used blue loctite on all screws/bolts.

Comment

It is a factory coating from Talley. I used blue loctite on all screws/bolts.

Idk man that’s weird

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

The only scope i've ever had jump on rings was a Burris...returned it for Vortex. no issues - same rings.

Comment

Talley voids the warranty if lapped
                That's actually not legal but plenty of people get away with it.

Also, the Talley rings I've lapped have needed it. It's not just about the rings themselves but also the mounting on the actual gun that affects the need for lapping. You'd think a company like Talley would have that knowledge.

Odd problem... my guess is an out-of-spec tube from Burris. You have a caliper you can put to it?

Comment

I do have a caliper.
                  If the tube was jacked up wouldn't it have become obvious before now? The scope was tight for ~150 rounds and now it's like it was never tightened.

Comment

Just an outside the box thought.

If the diameter of the Scope tube was able to contract slightly because it broke it's seal and lost its nitrogen charge... maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                      Just an outside the box thought.

If the diameter of the Scope tube was able to contract slightly because it broke it's seal and lost its nitrogen charge... maybe?
                      Hmmmm. Interesting thought!

Comment

IDK why this site rotates photos!
                        I believe it depends on the orientation of your camera (phone) when the picture is taken.
                        If your phone is vertical, then it will turn the picture when you post it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                          I believe it depends on the orientation of your camera (phone) when the picture is taken.
                          If your phone is vertical, then it will turn the picture when you post it.
                          You'd think so but I had my phone upright/vertical when I took the pic.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I said.

Comment

If that is the coating on the rings on the scope like you say, then I would guess the coating is coming off and made the ID slightly larger. I am not sure how thick cerakote or whatever they used is.

Comment

Those cerakoted rings are the problem, if not done correctly they will slip.

Comment

Working...
                                X