Passed him up opening day! Help with age and score

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
    I still see 5.5 yr old. The other 2 look 3.5 and 4.5.

In this pic from far left 3.5, middle (target passed 5.5) far right 4.5.

Either way I think it's a great pass on your part. That deer will blow up next year if he makes it. Me personally I wouldn't have been able to pass.
    This is what I see aswell and I based 5.5 off the young buck which looks 3.5.

Comment

Looks 5.5 to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks mature to me 5.5. He has short tines so I don't see a buck like that ever scoring good. If you let him walk he may gain some mass and maybe throw a nontypical point or something. But in my opinion I don't see a deer like that becoming a "monster". At any rate he is a very nice buck.

Comment

Pretty sunrise or sunset and a beautiful buck. 5 like others have said.

Comment

Comment

I'd of smacked him

Comment

I don't understand some of you guys, why would you pass on that deer. Boogles my mind

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                  I don't understand some of you guys, why would you pass on that deer. Boogles my mind
                  Cause you’ll never kill a 150-160 class buck if you shoot em when they’re 130-140. That buck has the potential explode next year.

Comment

4 or 5 let's see what he does next year

Comment

Young enough to pass.
                      Good decision.

Comment

I see a mature deer. He's neck isn't really swollen yet but his brisket and head say 5.5 or older.

Comment

He looks 5.5 to me. I hope you have a lot of land so he doesn't wonder off to the wrong property. Not gonna lie, I probably would not pass on that deer unless I knew 100% that he would survive.

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                          Depends on the situation. If you have 2,000 acres or like minded lease mates/neighbors you let those deer go and they turn into absolute giants and also get several more years to breed does.

Small tract of land turns me into your mindset. Less than 7-800 acres and I'm smoking that buck.

Comment

I see a 5.5 year old buck

Comment

Originally posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
                              Cause you’ll never kill a 150-160 class buck if you shoot em when they’re 130-140. That buck has the potential explode next year.
                              You guys that ask why not shoot this is why. If you don't care about that then shoot depends on what is important to you. I will say it is tough to watch a pretty deer like that walk but if you do that a couple years you will be amazed at the difference. Even in high pressure areas it helps Ya not so good neighbors might get them but there will be some that slip through the cracks and you will be thankful one day. Its an investment it will pay off later down the road. I speak from experience have been in that well If i don't shoot him someone else will but havent done that in years and our deer pop has changed dramatically and we are in a pretty high pressure area. Only 300 acres with some smaller places around us with different leasers every year. Still frustrating but our patience has paid off.

Comment

This

Originally posted by mastercraftka View Post
                                You guys that ask why not shoot this is why. If you don't care about that then shoot depends on what is important to you. I will say it is tough to watch a pretty deer like that walk but if you do that a couple years you will be amazed at the difference. Even in high pressure areas it helps Ya not so good neighbors might get them but there will be some that slip through the cracks and you will be thankful one day. Its an investment it will pay off later down the road. I speak from experience have been in that well If i don't shoot him someone else will but havent done that in years and our deer pop has changed dramatically and we are in a pretty high pressure area. Only 300 acres with some smaller places around us with different leasers every year. Still frustrating but our patience has paid off.
                                We have 360 in Oklahoma surrounded by small places that some of the locals have told me they shoot 5 young buck s a year each. But we have only shot one buck on it in the last 5 yrs. and every year we have at least 1-2 mature shooters to hunt. It's all about self control.

Comment

Working...
                                X