No announcement yet.

Medicineman's 2017 season as live as possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This will have to do for now. Will get video uploaded when I get good service, but until then....

Me an my buddy Curly

Crazy to think I've had this bow as long as I have. Honestly, I never paid attention to the date on it till today. Time flies when your having fun I suppose.

And lastly the shot. I honestly could not have placed the shot anymore perfectly on him. I don't know how far he actually was yardage wise, figure 20ish, but the shot was nearly straight up and down which is something I've never done before other than just slinging arrows into the sky at a clout shoot. Standing bear targets have ALWAYS been my nemesis on the 3D ranges, so when he turned facing me and gave me that same particular shot, I kinda cringed a second and thought "this is for all those stinkin standing bear targets that give me fits!" and I let'er fly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's a good looking bear. Awesome shot as well.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice! Congrats Shiloh! Good shooting!

LD

Comment

Sounds like a great hunting experience all around! Congrats!

Comment

good looking bear!

Comment

That is too cool! Great shot as well. I cant imagine making a shot that good while shooting straight up! Well done Sir!

Comment

Just cool all the way around! Congrats!

Comment

Congrats !!

Comment

Well, we started out the morning early meeting up with everyone before splitting up and heading our separate ways. Curly and I head back to the Taos area to a spot he'd got some info on some recent activity. With food sources so scattered, the bears aren't congregated like normal and it's been tough going for them. Anyhow, we got the dogs rigged up and he'd up the mountain. We hadn't been going for maybe 15 minutes and the dogs struck. We hopped outa the truck and spotted a fresh track instantly. Curly let the dogs loose and it want a couple minutes the dogs were already on the bear. The mountain we were on wasn't super steep and was covered sparsely with juniper bushes, but at the top was basically straight rock cliffs. We watched and listened as the dogs made there way up the side of the mountain into a small canyon break where there were a few tall pines we figured the bear would tree. Unfortunately, we didn't get that lucky...
                    The race ensued and the bear actually out ran about half the pack as the backside of the mountain was nearly all rock cliffs. Luckily, a few in the pack kept pace and the other dogs finally caught up and were able to tree the bear after a 37 minute chase 3 miles away from where we dropped them off. We drove around the backside of the mountain and found an old pig trail that hadn't been used in years and were able to get within 560 yards and of the bear. Of the 560 yards, about 100 was flat and the rest was straight down hill. We finally reached the bear and got the dogs tied up and shuffled around to get into position for a shot, which to me ended up being less than ideal not only because of the straight up angle, but also because the bear was facing me. I chatted with Curly about where he thought would be best to shoot and we were both on the same page so we decided to roll with it. As I drew, my arrow wanted to lift off the rest badly due to the angle so I put a bit of pressure on top of my nock with my index finger to pull it down, which typically I don't use at all. All I could think as I drew back was to focus on that tiny little tuft of hair in the center of his chest, and as I drew further, my body and mind kicked into full instinctive auto pilot mode as I truly don't remember hitting full draw or releasing the arrow, it's like it was just in the air and on its way as if in slow motion. When the arrow struck, instantly I knew I'd made a perfect shot, but still was going to try and get another in him if possible but never got the chance. The bear turned away, then buckled a bit before falling backwards to the ground and rolling into a small drainage. I loaded another and went as fast I could towards him to try and get another in him on the ground, but there was too much brush in the way, and even so, no second shot was needed. Curly called me off and said he's done.

I had just killed my first bear.

Comment

Great story Shiloh, thanks for taking us along with you on this great hunt. Congrats again.

Comment

Fantastic. Glad it came together and you were up to the tough hike and shot.

Comment

Thanks all. It was a trip for sure! Today was supposed to be it, but we are gonna give it a whirl in the morning and see if we can get my father-n-law a bear. Sure hoping it works out!

Originally posted by Hunter Todd View Post
                          That is too cool! Great shot as well. I cant imagine making a shot that good while shooting straight up! Well done Sir!

I honestly was a bit worried just because of the awkwardness of the position I was in, but thankfully it all worked out.

Originally posted by spidermonkey View Post
                          Congrats Shiloh!! And super good on you bout gettin Curly "hooked for life"! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

It's definitely cool to see someone whose never shot trad before to really get excited about it after they've shot it a few times.

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                          Fantastic. Glad it came together and you were up to the tough hike and shot.

The walk in wasn't to bad and I was able to keep up with Curly really good. The climb out was a bit rougher. I carried the pack out with hide and meat and made it nearly 3/4 the way up the mountain before I handed it off to Curly.

I broke my foot 3 weeks ago and all that weight on my back and going up the mountain at such a steep angle had me feeling it tonight for sure!!!

Comment

Congratulations Shiloh!

Comment

That's awesome!! Way to get it done.

Comment

Way to go bud! Can't wait for pics!

Congrats!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment