Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am on Brewer.
    BlakeS is also on the Brewer
    Last edited by HunterU; 06-06-2017, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Will be going to Brewer Ranch on 6/24 anyone going that weekend?

Comment

Pm sent

Comment

I think you'll find that the guys that have been there awhile are not the one shooting those small deer. But when you have 15 or 16 pastures and two or three turn over every two or three years you get a lot of folks in and out. There are some really excellent deer out there by our standards at least, but you can't shoot the first eight point you see. I also think that some people drive so far to get there that they don't want to go home empty-handed even if that means shooting a deer that you or I wouldn't think about shooting. That is not an excuse, and it burns me up too.
          It's definitely not a trophy lease by most people's standards, but a mature deer out there is a heck of a nice specimen. We are also just now recovering from that drought, and I think some of the guys that hunt out there don't know what a buck over 3 years old even looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
            I think you'll find that the guys that have been there awhile are not the one shooting those small deer. But when you have 15 or 16 pastures and two or three turn over every two or three years you get a lot of folks in and out. There are some really excellent deer out there by our standards at least, but you can't shoot the first eight point you see. I also think that some people drive so far to get there that they don't want to go home empty-handed even if that means shooting a deer that you or I wouldn't think about shooting. That is not an excuse, and it burns me up too.
            It's definitely not a trophy lease by most people's standards, but a mature deer out there is a heck of a nice specimen. We are also just now recovering from that drought, and I think some of the guys that hunt out there don't know what a buck over 3 years old even looks like.
            I see. Thanks for the response. Your right about the good bucks. Last year was tough for us with the rain and warm winter but we had great bucks on camera and I've seen some game pics of monsters as well as mounts from years past. Was just a little surprised seeing some of the deer that were killed.

How is October out there usually? Deer weren't really hitting our feeders hard last year for bow season but I'm hoping it was just the weird conditions. Late season was definitely better for us.

Comment

This one was shot last year on the last weekend of the season. The guy said he had a 14pt also show up but never could get a good shot so he opted for the 12pt.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
                I see. Thanks for the response. Your right about the good bucks. Last year was tough for us with the rain and warm winter but we had great bucks on camera and I've seen some game pics of monsters as well as mounts from years past. Was just a little surprised seeing some of the deer that were killed.

How is October out there usually? Deer weren't really hitting our feeders hard last year for bow season but I'm hoping it was just the weird conditions. Late season was definitely better for us.
                October is great. Bucks are in bachelor groups and not many people hunting them.
                I don't really bow hunt the feeders though. I have much better luck corning away from the feed pens and setting up there.

I built a big box blind this past summer, and they completely ignored it by bow season.

Comment

Originally posted by F0WL_LIF3 View Post
                  This one was shot last year on the last weekend of the season. The guy said he had a 14pt also show up but never could get a good shot so he opted for the 12pt.
                  What did that buck score? I think I saw a picture of it right after it was shot last year.

Comment

I'm not sure. Don't think the guy scored it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Headed to the lease (Brewer Ranch) this weekend! Anybody plan on being out there!?

Comment

Originally posted by F0WL_LIF3 View Post
                        Headed to the lease (Brewer Ranch) this weekend! Anybody plan on being out there!?

I wish. Let us know how things look. Be safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
                          I wish. Let us know how things look. Be safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Yes sir will do! Try to keep this thing going while I'm there

Comment

I work out in VV a lot. Had a lot of rain out there, but seems like has dried up pretty quick. Things still look to be in good shape though...

Comment

I wish....

but too much going on this weekend. I think some of the other lease members will be there to fill feeders either this weekend or next. I really need to get out there. I need some wild space time desperately. I need to bring my UTV back and get it serviced and add some LED lighting as well before the season starts. I just can't stand the heat though. Last year, I was there in June and the thermometer read 113 degrees at 2 PM. It even hurt to breathe.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
                                I work out in VV a lot. Had a lot of rain out there, but seems like has dried up pretty quick. Things still look to be in good shape though...
                                Unfortunate a lot of that rain came down in storms that dumped multiple inches in very short spans of time. While that is better than no rain, too much of it runs off with little to no benefit. Things are starting to get a bit yellowish/brownish.

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                                but too much going on this weekend. I think some of the other lease members will be there to fill feeders either this weekend or next. I really need to get out there. I need some wild space time desperately. I need to bring my UTV back and get it serviced and add some LED lighting as well before the season starts. I just can't stand the heat though. Last year, I was there in June and the thermometer read 113 degrees at 2 PM. It even hurt to breathe.
                                It's been extremely hot these last few days. 105 plus 4-5 days made it seem like august temps already. Hopefully we get some relief in the form of rain soon but I am not holding my breath on it.

On a good note, I have noticed a lot of healthy looking does running around out there that should be getting ready to drop fawns soon. Found this one stuck in the river the other day and we were fortunate to be able to get it out.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Pedernal; 06-21-2017, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X