Bowfishing- Aim Low, what does it mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bowfishing- Aim Low, what does it mean?

I've never been bow fishing, it I saw this sticker on a truck today @ lunch.

I presume that the arrow planes or even tails up a bit when the head hits the water, making your impact point subsurface different.

Is that correct, or is there a different meaning altogether?

It means that water reflects the image of the fish further away than it really is. So the deeper the fish the lower you aim.

Comment

Believe the fish looks higher then it actually is in the water.

Comment

Youre spot on. Aim below their belly and you should hit them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Refraction. Stick a broom stick into a swimming pool at 45* and you'll see a perfect example.

Comment

No one can aim low enough. We tried shooting under the fish and most people still shot over.

Comment

Has nothing to do with the arrow planing... has everything to do with refraction of light at the water/air boundary. The fish looks higher in the water column than it actually is, due to light refraction. So you aim at it lower than the image would suggest.

Whether you "aim" low or just learn to hold low depends on how you shoot. I have been once and couldn't look below the fish. So I looked at the fish and just held the bow low. I shoot a barebow when I hunt anyways, so it just took a little bit of trial and error to get my brain to figure out what that sight picture looks like for fish under water. What throws you off is not knowing how big the fish really is. It might look big and you think it is close, but it turns out the be really big and deep.... or vice versa.

Comment

Refraction. and it's a B! When you think you're aiming low enough aim lower. Then go a little lower than that. And then you'll still probably shoot high

Comment

Here is a pic I made to show people I take out and is a good example on refraction which is where aim low comes into play
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Trust View Post
                    Here is a pic I made to show people I take out and is a good example on refraction which is where aim low comes into play
                    That is an excellent example

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
                      Believe the fish looks higher then it actually is in the water.
                      This is correct

Comment

why did you use a bent pole????

Comment

Perfect example! (right click-save image as...)

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                            it means that water reflects the image of the fish further away than it really is. So the deeper the fish the lower you aim.
                            10-4

Comment

I have been bowfishing since I was a kid. I still have to go through a "lesson" everytime I go.lol

Comment

Working...
                              X