Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What you need to get started (Beginners guide Volume II)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working the mid shift so I have time to add to this thread.

Okay, you are here reading and you are thinking of getting into traditional archery.

You need a starter bow, like said above...get a cheap but in good condition used recurve in a low weight that you can easily pull and shoot. This allows you to work on your form and get consistant. What is low weight you ask? Well between 40 and 50 lbs for average adult guys, maybe less if you are small or female. There are normally lots of bows in the range because in a lot of places these are the lowest weight you can hunt with.

You will need to get some arrows that are spined correctly so that they fly well from your bow with you shooting. I have to do this by trial and error for myself, so people can make a pretty good guess on what will work for you, if they know your bow weight, draw length, and arrow tip weight. Do not start with wood arrows, I really suggest carbon. They are very durable and by nature...much more consistant. You need as few variables as possible when learning to shoot. Mismatched arrows will put you at a huge disadvantage. If you are shooting off the shelf (no arrow rest) you will need real feathers for your flechings, vanes will not work.

Okay, now you have a bow and arrows. You need a glove or tab, so that you can shoot without hurting your fingers. They both work, it is just a matter of personal preferance.

That is really all you need to start shooting (well you need a place to shoot). An archery shop, club, or if backyard....you will need a target.

You can leave your bow strung if you are using it alot...but if you are not going to be shooting for awhile, or you need to unstring it for travel. Buy and use a bow stringer. Use it everytime, or you will risk damaging your bow.

A quiver is very good to have, and if you stay with the sport...you will need one. However it is not necessary to get started. I have all types of quivers and use most of them. I like a back quiver for practice and stand hunting, but when stalking and still hunting I like a hip quiver.

We could go on and on...but I really think this is all you need to get started...good luck and welcome to our wonderful sport.

Comment

Im thinking about getting into trad hunting as well. Im looking to buy a good bow but nothing custom yet. I shoot hoyt compounds so was wondering if there trad bows were any good? Also are there any shops or anything of the sort in the greater Houston area that are good with helping with trad setups? Im completely new to traditional so have no clue. Thanks

Comment

I have been shooting traditional[ javelina] target only for 2yrs 35# and can hit accurately 20-30yds. I am concidering compound,but not sure what to get. I AM recovering from shoulder surgery 10\14 and cant wait to purchase new toy.Help needed!

Comment

Thanks for the info been thinking about getting some traditional gear and make a little more of a challenge for myself

Comment

Originally posted by tarapan View Post
            I have been shooting traditional[ javelina] target only for 2yrs 35# and can hit accurately 20-30yds. I am concidering compound,but not sure what to get. I AM recovering from shoulder surgery 10\14 and cant wait to purchase new toy.Help needed!
            i know this is a traditional thread, but if you are considering a compound i suggest a "youth" bow. or a lower weight trad, good advice imo.

Comment

Great thread... is there a similar thread somewhere on this site for us new shooters using compound bows?

Comment

New Bows I'm looking at...

I'm just getting started and love this thread. I'm currently looking at 3 possible bows to purchase. The Ragim (G&H Outdoors) Wolf Custom, The Martin L-100 or the PSE Sequoia. They all are around the same price. I like the look of the Wolf Custom, although I'd have to order it through my local shop. I'm planning on a drive up to Buda to Cabela's and they have both the Martin and PSE.

Comment

Great thread! Very helpful!

Comment

DADDY NEEDS A NEW TOY!!!
                    Great info guys.
                    I don't know much about bow,,,,, and honestly I don't know if I'll use one, but they sure are cool!!!!!!!!

I'm going to buy one!
                    Last edited by jamrice; 08-08-2011, 07:30 PM.

Comment

There is lots of great information on here, great thread!

Comment

I'm definitely willing to spend "a little more" if I do much more for a custom recurve. The thing is, how do I know Bowyer go? In the last edition of the traditional Bowhunter

Comment

Check out SarrelsArchery.com. You will be very satisfied.

Comment

PSE make really good beginner recurves i have a PSE heritage mustang that i enjoyed shooting for a long time

Comment

How do i figure my draw length as i have heard that it different than my compound draw length?

Comment

Can you have to low of a draw weight to practice with?

Comment

Working...
                                X