No announcement yet.

Red river county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got back from Red River. Some deer movement but a little slow. The rut is still a ways off.

Comment

It has been extremely slow on our lease. I have hunted pretty hard and have seen very few deer. The rut should be kicking in within the next week. I killed my buck last year on Nov.18. Notice how his neck is swoll up.
      Attached Files

Comment

when do you think the rut will hit up there

Comment

Ryan, I hunted Red River County for years. Hunted Chapman Ranch along the Red River. Good Deer. The Ranch had corn and SowBeans planted every year, so the deer had plenty to eat. The rut usually kicks off around ThanksGiving week, as Tex said.

Here is a deer Trent, my Grandson, killed a few years back with a rifle......but, honestly, this is the exception, not the norm.......But we did kill some pretty good deer there every year.

Good Luck

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chapman-Trent 10 014a.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	23906060

Comment

Mecic911, that is a nice mount. Are you a taxidermist?

Comment

ok thanks Rsatt

Comment

anyone else.

Comment

i was up there for 6 days last week, the rut should be kickin by now, saw lots of young bucks and one 3 1/2 yo. 8 point that i passed on, im lookin for something in the 4 to 5 year old range. My dad saw a 3 year old 8 chasin a doe last wed. But there are so many does the older deer dont chase them like the younger ones. I think the second rut will be better and more competion and get the big boys out.

Comment

i saw a 3 and a spike last weekend and a doe that walked into camp at night

Comment

i seen about 25 deer last week, missed a darn 3 yo spike he caught me off guard, well ill admit i was SLEEPING in the blind. I woke up and he was 7 yards with his but in my last shooting window DOH.....One guy that his killed good deer every year but 1 in the last six years says the first 10 days in dec. are the magic days.

Comment

when do you think the rut will start up there

Comment

I've hunted in Delta county (which is right next door)for the last 8 years and we see the big boys between Thanksgiving and till around the 5th of Dec. Buddy of mine hunted yesterday evening though and said he saw 2 2 year olds with does. Headed up there Friday work permitting

Comment

Deer killed in burnet texas

We hunt in burnet and have not seen but very few deer but my uncle hunts in delta county also and he has scored on a nice 11 so far and has seen a brute that gave him the slip
                            Last edited by BOWFISHER08; 11-25-2009, 02:47 PM.

Comment

I would guess with this little change in weather that we might see more chasing up that way. I'm pumped for this weekend!

Comment

Working...
                              X