Soft shell turtle - Good to eat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never ate any turtle

But my grandma said they had different kinds of meat, some similar to beef, some similar to chicken, some similar to pork, etc

rbsears there is a list of things I don't particularly want to eat but turtle is not on it

Organ meat and possums are at the top

Comment

We fried some and took it to a pot luck dinner at church. Didn't tell anyone what it was.... they all said they loved the fried deer meat lol.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
        The best of the turtles to eat... especially cajun turtle soup with sherry and a shrimp po boy... One of my very favorite meals! Used to be a place in Morgan City we went for lunch when we were at the McDermott yard... That's what I had every time I went... only change would be occasionally have an oyster po boy instead of shrimp po boy...
        I am slowly coming to the conclusion we are brothers from different mothers.
        With me it was turtle soup peca..
        Buy a case of beer and start chopping up the turtle, throw the meat in a bowling pot of spices and buy a case of beer.
        Two hours later buy a case of beer and serve dinner to 40 people...

Comment

They are excellent table fair. They need to be put in a tub of fresh water to purge. My brother used a galvanized tank maybe thigh high. He would catch them and put them in the tank for a couple of days, then clean and chicken fry them. That was in MO and the temps weren't what they will be in TXT.

Comment

I have eaten it in soup, fried, and very similar to this. Except, I like to use gulf oysters instead of shrimp. Either is good though. The main ingredient is the cajun holy grail.

Comment

Originally posted by cuttingedge View Post
              They are excellent table fair. They need to be put in a tub of fresh water to purge. My brother used a galvanized tank maybe thigh high. He would catch them and put them in the tank for a couple of days, then clean and chicken fry them. That was in MO and the temps weren't what they will be in TXT.
              Sounds like a very good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                https://youtu.be/4ITUlzKw-nE

I have eaten it in soup, fried, and very similar to this. Except, I like to use gulf oysters instead of shrimp. Either is good though. The main ingredient is the cajun holy grail.
                U mean Cajun "Trinity"? onion, bell pepper, n celery... That's the sacred combination for many, many Cajun dishes aaahhheeeeee!!

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                  Never ate any turtle

But my grandma said they had different kinds of meat, some similar to beef, some similar to chicken, some similar to pork, etc
                  This is what I've heard. We caught one on a trotline several years ago and my BIL's uncle mentioned cooking it, but didn't want to clean it. We cut the line and let it go.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have had them fried in NOLA, very good eating!!

Comment

U mean Cajun "Trinity"? onion, bell pepper, n celery... That's the sacred combination for many, many Cajun dishes aaahhheeeeee!!
                      Yea. That stuff. Goes in everything. And, some chopped garlic for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                        Yea. That stuff. Goes in everything. And, some chopped garlic for me.
                        Thanks for posting that video... I'm goin' turtle fishin'!! I gotta try this myseff!

Comment

Coonazzez stand up....and help a brutha out

Comment

Funny story about soft shell

Back when I was a lot younger, 18-19 or so, I had a friend that had a bunch of lines out on the river and talked me and another guy into going and running them in the middle of the night

We pulled up to a line and the other guy starts pulling it in and it has a soft shell on it. He asks what it is and my friend hollers leather back and the guy lets go of the line real quick

My friend asked why he did that and the guy says "you said let it back! And I didn't know what the heck it was"

Apparently he had never seen a soft shell

Comment

Soft shell turtle - Good to eat?

The best of the turtles to eat... especially cajun turtle soup with sherry and a shrimp po boy... One of my very favorite meals! Used to be a place in Morgan City we went for lunch when we were at the McDermott yard... That's what I had every time I went... only change would be occasionally have an oyster po boy instead of shrimp po boy...

My uncle had a seafood place under the bridge right by McDermott yard.

The best way to have it is Turtle Sauce Piquant. It’s more like a crawfish etouffee than a gumbo.
                              Last edited by Black Ice; 07-09-2018, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                                My uncle had a seafood place under the bridge right by McDermott yard.

The best way to have it is Turtle Sauce Piquant. It’s more like a crawfish etouffee than a gumbo.
                                That was about the only way my mom would cook it. My dad loved anything cooked in a red gravy.

Comment

Working...
                                X